Mast Tie Down

G

Goonie

How do you guys tie yours down? I have an 81 Laser. Anyone else with an old laser who has a nice system, please share it!

I have a '74 with Standard rigging. Usually the cunningham will keep it down if you flip, but to reduce strain on the cunningham eyelet a tie down like the one included on the "new rigging" would help.

Mac if possible can you show me a picture of how you rig your cunningham. By the way, it sounds like your doing a great job restoring your old boats :D!

What's the best way to rig a "new style" mast retainer using the old-style downhaul fairlead? I appears to me that anything I would tie to the fairlead would increase the friction for the cunningham line (?).

FWIW, I had my mast pop out of the boat after a death-roll gybe (with the cunningham off completely for going down-wind). I probably had rigged it a bit more loosely than necessary, as the wind was up and down that day, and that likely contributed. I pay more attention to how I rig the cunningham now, but I'm still interested in trying to rig a separate retainer line (esp. as I'm considering switching over to blocks in the cunningham w/o changing to the new deck hardware).

Cheers,

Geoff Sobering

Back in the old days of 2:1 cunninghams the cunningham would work well as a mast retainer if you had some kind of stopper knot at the (old rigging) cleat at max ease. Using the old rigging now with a higher purchase you have to be careful since the mast can pull up more with the stopper knot in the same place.

I use a 6:1 with the old rigging and found myself setting the max ease a bit tighter than I'd like to make sure the mast wouldn't comeout too much in a turtle, so I got some 1/16 high-tech no-stretch line and tie a retainer pretty much just like you would with the new rigging only through the cunningham fairlead (under the cunningham). Works fine.

Back