mast step leak

laserknight

I know there has been a lot of discussion of leaks, repairs etc, but i still need some advice. My 1978 has a leak at bottom of the mast step. I did quick repair a few years ago siliconing in a makeshift wearplate cut from a plastic milk jug. I know... it was shoddy, but it held for the summer. Never had a proper metal wear plate and am thinking about trying that.

I dont have an inspection port and read contradictory opinions ( old boats should have one--no it would weaken the hull etc.) about installing one. and i am not eager to do a full mast step repair. So, two questions : 1. any reason not to try a metal wear plate? 2. Should i have an inspection port anyway? thanks

1. After fixing the leak, add the plate (lots of threads here already on pouring a new base)

2. Yes, put in an inspection port. With that age hull, you need to take a good look at the bottom of the mast step and take preventitive action (replace donut and/or glass the mast tube to the hull) on it so you don't end up with catastophic failure - you may need access anyway to the inside of the hull to properly fix the leak in the base. Avoiding putting the port on centerline

If the leak is at the bottom from wear not a crack , get a tube of 3M 5200 or 4200 and squeeze about half of it into the bottom of the step building up about 1/4" high +/- then drop in a wear plate. Gently tap the wear plate down into the caulk and let it cure..

thanks for the advice. Is there any wat to tell if it is a leak just due to wear rather than a crack without installing an inspection port?

thanks for the advice. Is there any wat to tell if it is a leak just due to wear rather than a crack without installing an inspection port?

Depends on how fast it's leaking. If it's not too fast, you can use the vacuum cleaner technique (search the forums for vacuum)

Fill the mast step with water, put a shop-vac in reverse (blow) mode and have a helper hold the tube about half an inch away from the hull drain plug. DON'T FORCE IT UP AGAINST THERE OR YOU'LL OVERPRESSURIZE THE HULL AND BLOW THE DECK OFF!

Look down into the mast step while your friend is doing this, and see where the bubbles are coming from.

If it won't hold water long enough for you to perform this test, my guess is it's cracked so badly you'll need to open it up with an inspection port anyway.

Disclaimer: I haven't performed a mast step repair. They scare me.

Back