Maintenance help 81 SF

STEVE BLASE

I am a first time owner of an 81 SF and had some questions on maintenance. While the boat seems to be in very good condition there are a few things..There is some spidering of the fiberglass just under the metal edge. Is this an indication of a problem or just age/weathering? The metal edge does not seem to be sealed and wondered if it is supposed to be. I also have two rivets on the edge that are loose. The hull is in great condition except for one small spot about the size of a dime that the glass is cracked and could absorb water. Are there any problems with the older SF that I should watch out for? Thanks for any suggestions. Steve

The metal rub edge is there just to cover up the deck/hull joint and does nothing to seal the area. The deck and hull are glass together at the factory and on the older styles like your's about a hundred strong spring clamps were used to hold the deck and hull together while the resin dried.
So loose rivets aren't really a problem unless like my old boat, ones where you sit come loose. Boy can they leave a nasty gash in your butt. I can laugh at it now, but it was painful.
As always I recommend installing a 6 inch port between the splash rail and dagger board well for drying the boat out and inspecting the insdie of the hull.

Ancient Fish said:
How hard is it to install a port? I am not handy but don't mind trying if it doesn't take experience and skills.

See the FAQs on the main page. I am pretty much a klutz and I could even do it. If you order the port from Windline, you will get written instructions to boot.

nothing to it. trace the port hile with a sharpi cut with a jig saw to the inside of the line 5200, screw and your done. I do recomend a 4" not 6" port hole. 6" tend to not seal as well.

Good Luck

Steve/Ancient Fish,

Installing a port is pretty easy, just make sure you leave yourself room to work behind the splashrail (3" from port edge to rail at the closest points. Waverdancer has already mentioned Wind Line Sails (http://www.windline.net/index.html), I'll add Mike Kilpatrick (http://mikekilpatrick.homestead.com/dollies.htm), he has a photo step by step installation guide. The Cookie Pimp brings up a good point, a 4" seals better than a 6" but it is hard to work inside your hull with a 4". I suggest you do a leak test as found on Wind Lines How-To section first. Then if you do need to fix a leak around the dagger board well, install a 6". Keep the flange fairly flat (don't bolt the side edges too tight, use 3M Marine Silicone) and you should be in business. If you have a leak under the aluminum, WLS has instructions for that also. Good Luck and don't be afraid to ask more questions.

Back