Mainsheet Cleat on old Sunfish?

chicago

I just got a mid sixties Sunfish for a great price, however there is no discernible cleat or attachment point to hold down the mainsheet when under sail. I see newer models come with a mainsheet block, but my particular boat has absolutely nothing and the sheet must be held in hand under pressure at all times. Is there anyway to retrofit a cleat onto an older boat for this purpose? Thanks.

A mainsheet block can be attached to the center of the cockpit lip on the deck as there is about a 2" overhang. Suggested blocks are the Harken Ratchamatic 019 (seems to be popular), the Harken Ratchamatic 009 (a little larger block for heavier winds) and others. An eye strap to mount the block, stand up spring 071, stainless steel machine screws (flat or oval head), Ny-Lock nuts and FENDER washers or back up plate (to prevent pull out). I do not recomend any block or eye with a cleat combination unit. Just the simple block. The ratchamatic will help hold the mainsheet tension and will reduce hand fatique, but will release immediately as soon as you ease hand pressure.

Back