Loose Mainsheet Block on Laser 2 - Normal or Needs Repair?

TGKent

Hi everyone,

I’ve been sailing my Laser 2 for a few years now and have really enjoyed the experience. Recently, I noticed that the mainsheet block seems to be a bit loose, ie, when I tug on it the whole floor moves up and down a couple inches. What is the block screwed into? I’m not sure if this is something normal that happens over time or if it indicates a problem that needs to be fixed.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be looking into repairing or tightening it, or is it just part of the usual wear and tear? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20240715_204002338.jpg
    PXL_20240715_204002338.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
If the cockpit floor actually moves inches, then there is something loose between the floor and the bottom that should be firmly laminated in place! There is a plywood spine along the centreline, and another athwartships near (or possibly even right at) the mainsheet block. If these have come undone (like it sounds), then you’re in for a big repair job... and that’s the best case scenario. The worst is those supports having completely rotted, in which case the boat is good only for spare parts. This is what that would look like: Laser 2 stuff; one piece mast mystery and hull dissection

How old is your boat, what does the HIN on the transom say?

_

Thanks for the info and speedy reply.

I took a photo of the transom below, I believe it reads ZFS03189M82E, does that mean the boat was made in 1982?

Ill look through that post, is there any way to tell if it's repairable?

Thanks again in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20240715_204031116.jpg
    PXL_20240715_204031116.jpg
    731.7 KB · Views: 33
ZFS03189M82E, does that mean the boat was made in 1982?
It’s a 1981 or an ’82. Those years’ HINs are very hard to decipher accurately, as they use that ”M” format. It’s supposed to mean ”Model year” but how that was defined is a mystery. Even the months may be either of two codes. Add to that the bankruptcy of Performance Sailcraft about that time, and the result is quite an identification mess. There is a semi-official year-to-sail number table, but it makes no sense for exactly those years.

All one can say is your boat’s sail number is 3189, and it was built in Pointe-Claire, Quebec, probably between May ’81 and May ’82.

Ill look through that post, is there any way to tell if it's repairable?
Can’t say for sure. I’d contact joe c himself about it.

_

Back