Location of Mainsheet cleat

c14_Jim

Sailing on Shelter Bay
My old Omega 14 has the mainsheet cleat within an inch of the floor. I was thinking of raising it another inch and a half by inserting a block of wood between the existing platform and the cleat. Has anyone had this same problem? Has anyone changed the location of the cleat or raised it up?

On another subject.....My Omega 14 sheets directly from the cockpit and does not have a traveler on the transom. I think there may be a small advantage to rigging a traveler to the transom. Has anyone had any experience with that: that is, changed it?

Attachments

• Mainsheet Cleat copy2.JPG
    Mainsheet Cleat copy2.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 21
Your Boat looks like it is rigged similar to the C15 with a mid boom set-up . A buddy's Hunter 170 also uses a simiar set-up. With that set-up, I like the fact of not having a dropping mainsheet along the boom or at the traveller where it can interfere with tiller extensions or outboard motors ( if used ) The drawback is with no traveler you get a tight leech on the mainsail when sheeted in and lose some ability to point in some conditions.

I have seen them use a transom traveler similar to the 14.2 but they have used padeyes instead of the holes drilled through the deck .

as for barney posts , on Omega 14's I have seen them made of molded fiberglass , aluminum and wood . it is nice to have it high, if you want to cleat it easy . down low, its easier to uncleat .

Good sailing !

Rob

Thanks Rob

I think you are right on and I appreciate your taking the time to respond. I had forgotten about the main sheet on the boom drooping down and grabbing life jackets and hats. And the leech control with the main sheet was exactly why I too thought a traveler might allow more control. Since I changed the angle of my main sheet cleat it does come out easy, and like you say, being low it is more difficult to get in. But when a puff hits and you are hiking out and need to spill air....obviously you appreciate getting the darn thing loose in a hurry! Always a trade off I suppose. Jim

Back