Leaky Maststep?

Jaspa

Hello, I was given my sisters 1994 laser. The exterior of the hull is in excellent condition. However the mast step does leak quite badly. What do you suggest i do about this? I feel like getting a little bit or resin and put it in the bottom of the mast step, then pressureize it so it will go through where ever it is leaking. There are no stress marks or cracks around the mast step as far as i can see. So i do not think that the mast step has been compromised structural.

I have seen the laser mast step replacement kits but i don't think i want to do that to my boat. Also, i get quite a lot of water in my boat, I do dry it out as best i can through the inspection port by the daggerboard. As long as i dry the boat out every time i sail it will the boat be OK?

Thanks for all your help!

There are some people on this board who are very knowledgeable about these kinds of problems. But I am not one of them. Nevertherless, I think that what you are proposing is not going to work. Rather, I think (!) that you need to get access to the mast tube from the inside of the hull (through an appropriately placed inspection port) and wrap fiberglass wetted in resin around the mast tube.

But let's hear it from the experts.

That's not enough info for anyone to advise. I'd search similar topics on here, as there must be 20+, then come back with more info.

Finding what the actual problem is will affect what the answer is. '94s usually aren't worn thru by wear, so it may be a freeze crack. If so, you're proposed fix won't work.

Al Russell

Back