Laser 2

The best ”mod” for singlehanding (and the only one I will recommend) is to get an actual singlehanded boat.

Rig the trapezes, post pictures, and I’ll tell what should be changed (if anything).

What number is your boat, what’s the transom code?

_

Here are two photos i just picked the boat up on the weekend and rigged it to figure out what i need to get
IMG_5359.jpeg
IMG_5360.jpeg

If you just tie the rope handle to the back hole on the daggerboard (assuming you have the daggerboard) it will be easier to pull up each time. and if the carpets are still in the slot, spray the daggerboard with McLube. Also, tie the daggerboard to the boat because if it's lost, then take the boat to junk yard as there are no replacements. The mast is one of a kind too, so baby that.

The best ”mod” for singlehanding (and the only one I will recommend) is to get an actual singlehanded boat.

Rig the trapezes, post pictures, and I’ll tell what should be changed (if anything).

What number is your boat, what’s the transom code?

_
Transom code is

ZIDO5330K586

Tensioning the rig requires leaning out out the fore stay while crew member pulls jib halyard and hooks steel cable part of halyard onto hooks on mast. Unusual.

To single hand with trapeze you will need a longer tiller extension. This will need to be telescopic as to go about it needs to be reduced in length to fit between the main sheet on stern and boom.

Good luck with this project.

Mark

ZIDO5330K586
So... sail number 5330, built by Laser International in Hawkesbury, Ontario, in November 1985 :) Means no spinnaker launcher, and two gudgeons on the transom (instead of a gudgeon and a pintle), among other things.

The trapezes are ok except that the elastic should be tied to the block of the ring fitting, instead of the ring itself. (This is a very common rookie mistake, worldwide!). Also, you’d want to lead the elastic directly from the side deck to the block on the foredeck; the jib leads should be nearly always in the innermost position, so that the trapeze elastic goes outside of them, over the track.

I also see that the traveller is set up ”Laser-style”, which makes no sense in the Laser 2. Rig it like this instead:
Many more useful videos on that channel obviously :)

_

Reactions: BoA
those 2pc masts are easier to find than mine. most of the boats came with them. and finding the boats cheap is pretty easy. plus you get tons of spares, I've sawed up 2 hulls and have enough spares to last until the glass rots on mine. :) I have 2 extra masts. :) still trying to find parts for a spin chute for mine. I love sailing it. "single handing" everything this season. sucks. last 2 weeks were killing it on the bay! hope to be back out before end of july. and hoping to be rewarded with more hurricanes for bigger than normal winds this year.

Attachments

• IMG_20240621_183841.jpg
    IMG_20240621_183841.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 11

Back