Jib Halyard Touches Shroud Bracket

chemprof

With your jib hoisted and tensioned (proper forestay length, shrouds, and mast rake set), does your jib halyard lay against the mast? It seems that it must since, due the position of the halyard block at the upper mast, the halyard pretty has to be flush with the mast.

My concern is that the jib halyard passes the port shroud bracket right at the mast. It seems that it will cause wear and it will be hard to wrap that part of the bracket.

FYI I'm using 1/8" Vectrus 12 for the upper part of the jib halyard and have a Harken 16mm microblock up the mast.

Are you using a covered or uncovered Vectrus ? I can see how the halyards would lay against the spreader brackets. I haven't noticed any wear problems with mine up high they seem to wear out more at the Cleats .

Are you running the cascade ? I run mine straight, never saw the need for the extra purchase and having to deal with only a single line makes hoisting the jib much easier.

Rob

(p.s. are you ready to come on down and sail with us ?)

The whole main halyard and the upper part of the jib halyard are 1/8" Yale Vectrus 12, both uncovered. I have 3/16" Yale Crystalyne (vectran core with cover) from the becket on the block. This was so I can run it through the clam cleat, since uncovered Vectrus 12 doesn't cleat well.

Yes, I'm running the jib halyard block. The guy I bought the boat from didn't know how, or didn't want to use it, so it was actually rigged upside down.

I'd kinda like to use the block method for a while -- it makes sense to actually cleat the halyard, rather than just run it through the cleat eye, so that the foot of the jib is just touching the deck. Then run it through the block and back down to the clam cleat so I could tighten the jib luff when sailing upwind; loose it when running down.

I suppose you can do that without the halyard block too!

Re the offer to come sailing -- love to, but busy packing up my office (I just retired after 26 years of teaching! yea!) and making the kitchen cabinets for my cabin. Also, I just got word from the association at the lake that the county plans on having our lake road cleared around June 4th. That's pretty late this year, but the lake's coming up even now.

Retirement is the best way to stay busy :)

Fun to have ropes to pull on! I look at our 14's compared to something like the Santana 20 I crew on and its just amazing . I think you can adjust everything on that boat.

Another reason I like using the single line because it allows me to drop the jib head all the way to the deck , this can be very helpful in docking in windy conditions . and my C22 is single lne and she does fine.

I thinking of CNC'ing some adapters for some Cam cleats on the mast that would be trick.

Back to your halyard , I'm also wondering, does the Vectrus line handle UV eposure well uncovered ? I pull my halyards off the boat keep them indoors . I wonder about the long term in a dock/moored situation .

Have fun, hope to see you on the water soon!

Rob

According to APS the Vectrus 12 has a coating that gives it "great UV stability and improves abrasion resistance."

Interesting you mention the cam cleat. This would be sure be a cool replacement for the fairlead clam cleat. It seems to me that you'll need a fairlead too. My clam cleat keeps recleating the halyard when I'm trying to drop the main or jib quickly. ... must be some trick to getting line through those things.

... and yes, I'm going to be either mooring or docking her all summer, so that's a lot of high altitude sunshine. Maybe the Baby Bob will protect the halyard; yeah, sure! :cool:

I use the horn cleats for my halyards, Use the clams for the topping lift and cunningham.

Rob

Back