Is this a good deal?

benzsails

Hello. I am finally looking into buying my own boat so I don't have to use my dads or uncles. I found a sunfish for 200 near me and they only problem that they say it has is the front handle needs to be repaired. So do you think this would be worth buying it and trying to fix it because I do but I just wanted to see what you people have to say.

Well it really depends on what you are thinking of using it for. If you are just using it for sailing around, then what kinda shape the boat is in isn't all that important. But if you are looking on racing, there are a lot of things that should be considered (I guess even if you are just going to sail it for fun). You want to look at the hull weight (lighter is better), how stiff it is, and most of all, if it leaks or not. Also if you want to race it, you will want a racing centerboard, and sail. If it doesn't have those and you want them, they aren't all that cheap. 200 is cheap for a sunfish, but it is probably that cheap for a reason....

yes the handle will not be hard to replace it is fairly cheap online and mounting it wont be too hard either if everything else is good than for 200 dollars that sounds great. i recently had gotten one for free and had to remount a few things so go for it

Be careful when replacing the handle: if the backing block of wood falls into the hull you will need to put in an inspection port to fix it. Check this site for other post on how to avoid this problem. (Don't take out all the screws at once!)

Fred

Back