Internal Outhaul and Misc. Questions [Merged]

powergroove

Okay, old(new) boat given to me by my cousin, just aquired mast, sail, blades and all the fixins. Been studying your pics and insight on rigging and have a few ideas my self, but unsure of the legality of the rigging. Can you internalize your outhaul into the boom? Ive been racing multihull's for along time and we have some pretty fancy rigging solutions that make set up a little easier and eliminate some potential snagging lines. My other question would be, is it safe with these booms to cut a few holes in them? Or maybe in your expert opinions, is it worth it?

The hull is kinda tired, weighed in at 146 pounds last night w/o mast, boards etc. 1981 hull, ZID begins the HIN. Im guessing its a Performace Sailcraft from Ontario, sold new in Colubia S Carolina in 1981, been around ever since. I have read that this is probably heavy, but it was free and a real easy way for me to hit the Laser scene. I found an approximately 1 gallon water jug(? Airbag?) in the rear of the hull today:rolleyes:, anyone know what this might be. I dont think the boat has ever been opened in the stern for someone to have put this in there post production, so it must have been installed from the factory....
I pretty stoked about racing it, first race this thursday night, trying to drum up the local fleet, hopefull revive the class around here.
Ps Thanks to Andrew Campbells Sailing World column and James Freedmans website for much insight, hope to see you around soon on the race course
David Mosley
Columbia South Carolina
www.powergroovesailing.com

Legal rigging questions

Thanks to everyone on this site for alot of ggod info, and especially the Sailing World article by Andrew and James Freedmans site. Makes gettin into LAser racing easier when you guys are so willing to share information.
My Boat..
ZID 1981 hull, 146 pounds(w/o mast or blades), gel coat spider cracks, but otherwise fairly stiff and smooth. It was a free hull so I cant complin very much... New sail, good mast/boom/blades

My question is, can you legally run the outhaul internally? Is it a bad idea? I presently race Formula 18 cats and we have some sweet rigging ideas for internal mast rotation, outhaul, and cunningham. Im thinking of incorporating some of it into the Laser, but dont wont to be turned away for class legal infractions.

Second, I opened up the rear cockpit to do some work on the hull, and inside was an approximately 1 gallon water(air?) jug, cap on tight, no water in it, floating loode in the hull.. What the hey is it? The boat doesnt look like it has been opened post production, so is it something for bounayncy/airbag kind of thing?

Looking forward to getting this boat on the water, first race thursday night, maybe I can get our fleet going again.
Thanks for any input,

Dave Mosley
Columbia S Carolina
www.powergroovesailing.com

Powergroove, welcome to the forum!

You can't (legally) run any lines inside the boom nor drill holes in it for misc. improvements. The Laser rule is, if it makes it faster, it is illegal! Having the line inside the boom makes it hidden and not freely examined for number of blocks or turning points, which are limited. Also, not ever getting snagged with life jacket or neck on a boom line seems like it would be faster to me, so no go. Lasers strive to be truly one design.

The "airbag" in the hull is flotation, and there should be more of them in the bow. It's illegal to remove them.

Here's a link to the Laser Class rules. After clicking on it, scroll on down to the rules PDF.

www.laserinternational.org/rules/ilcarule.htm

Powergroove, welcome to the forum!

The Laser rule is, if it makes it faster, it is illegal!

www.laserinternational.org/rules/ilcarule.htm

No, no, no! Merrily please don't sum up the rules in that way, because a lot of folk (Ross are you listening) will think the converse is true, i.e. "if it doesn't make it faster, it's OK". And as you well know that's just plain wrong.

A better way to sum up the Laser rules in one sentence would be, "If the rules don't say you can do it, then you can't do it."

No, no, no! Merrily please don't sum up the rules in that way, because a lot of folk (Ross are you listening) will think the converse is true, i.e. "if it doesn't make it faster, it's OK". And as you well know that's just plain wrong.

A better way to sum up the Laser rules in one sentence would be, "If the rules don't say you can do it, then you can't do it."

You are right, of course, on all counts.

the air things are cubitaners, they float your boat

the rigging has to be ourside, but I will add it to my list of things to approve when I become ILCA Pres

I agree with OG. To go one step further, I think it is worth reproducing here the introduction to the Class Rules as it really summarizes well the entire philosophy of Laser sailing:

One of the attractions of the Laser for most owners is that the class rules are very strict and that the boat is one design. The Laser philosophy incorporated in the rules is that we want to go sailing, not waste time fiddling with boats. We want to win races on the water using our skill, not by trying to find a way round the rules that will give us an advantage.
The Class Rules are written to prevent any changes from the standard boat that might affect performance, so that on the water each boat is the same. The few changes to the standard boat that are allowed are minor and only to allow for a few options that make racing the Laser more comfortable and enjoyable.
Over the years the class has refused to make changes to the rules that allow more expensive or complicated equipment or which makes older boats redundant.
If you feel you want to change something on a Laser - STOP
Ask yourself why you want to do it? If the answer is “to make me go faster” there is a very good chance the modification or addition is illegal!
Take a look at the Laser Rules.
• Part One explains the Fundamental Class Rule which covers the philosophy and any item not specifically written into the rules.
• Part Two tells you what you must do to have a legal boat.
• Part Three details a few optional changes and additions you can make.
If Part Three does not specifically allow a change or addition - IT IS ILLEGAL!
If you race a Laser that has a change or addition not allowed by the class rules you will be disqualified from the race. Ignorance of the rules is no defence.

the air things are cubitaners, they float your boat

Sorry to be the curmudgeon correcting everybody today. But the cubitainers have no role in floating your boat under normal conditions. The boat would float just as well without them. Indeed it would float a little higher without the weight of the plastic cubitainers.

But if your boat should get rammed and holed by a blind (or blind-drunk) port-tacker, or if the hull should develop a major leak for any other reason, then the water will eventually displace all the air in your hull except for that in the cubitainers. And then you hope that the weight of the water that is displaced by the cubitainers full of air is greater than the weight of the boat. (Remember Archimedes?) I assume the manufacturers have done that calculation and got it right. I've never checked either in theory or in practice.

I assume the manufacturers have done that calculation and got it right. I've never checked either in theory or in practice.

I'm not bragging or anything, :rolleyes:, but I have checked it in practice. The day I holed my boat when a gust of wind slammed it on the dock; I didn't notice and went sailing. The manufacturers got it right. The thing won't tack or gybe worth a darn when it's full of water though.

I'm not bragging or anything, :rolleyes:, but I have checked it in practice. The day I holed my boat when a gust of wind slammed it on the dock; I didn't notice and went sailing. The manufacturers got it right. The thing won't tack or gybe worth a darn when it's full of water though.

Thanks. I'm glad somebody has tried it. Just as a matter of interest is there enough flotation left with the hull full of water (except for the air in the cubitainers) to be able to support the boat and the person sailing it?

Thanks. I'm glad somebody has tried it. Just as a matter of interest is there enough flotation left with the hull full of water (except for the air in the cubitainers) to be able to support the boat and the person sailing it?

Yes. The deck eventually was just about at water level. I don't know if the boat was completely full. I'd been sailing for about 20 minutes, I kid you not, and was wondering why it was so sluggish. I didn't even win my club's "Bungle Bucket." They indicated it was pathetic, not funny. :eek:

Haha. Slick reference sorosz.

You know, the first time I forgot to put the plug in the boat was light air and I was going out to practice roll tacking. That's a heck of a lot different too when the hull's full of water. :p

How are the flotation additives regulated in Lasers?

How are the flotation additives regulated in Lasers?

All Laser sailors love the principle of strict one-design sailing and ensure that their own boats are always set up strictly in accordance with the rules. In other words we regulate ourselves. Welcome to the best, most honest, most fair class in the world.

All Laser sailors love the principle of strict one-design sailing and ensure that their own boats are always set up strictly in accordance with the rules. In other words we regulate ourselves. Welcome to the best, most honest, most fair class in the world.

Apart from where rule 42 is involved :D

Back