I need help installing a boom vang (Mod 1)

mikemcdonald50

I'm new to the Capri and was given a very beat-up old one (1980's vintage I suspect). I am fairly sure is is a Mod 1 based on other posts.

The rigging has obviously suffered some makeshift repairs so I'm not sure what all is missing. In particular, the boat is missing a boom vang. I have sailed this boat a half dozen times now and really enjoy it. However, in strong winds the boom bounces up and down like crazy. I want to install a functional boom vang, but not spend much money doing so. The boom has two holes where screws were torn out. The mast has the standard eyelet securely in place. 1.) What must I do to install one? 2.) How much money would this cost in parts? 3.) Does anyone have a picture of a one properly set-up? Thanks, Mike (Florida)

I have purchased spare shackles at Lowes/Home Depot for real cheap, maybe $2 each. That will give you a connection on each end.

Now you just need to find a block and line to run between them. If you are sailing in salt water, go ahead and spend some money and get something good... doesn't have to be too big for these boats. If you only sail on fresh water, you try out a makeshift setup.

http://www.harken.com/rigtips/vang.php -- Have a look here, so you can get an idea of what to look for. from the pictures, the 4:1 V-Jam is all you need. I use my upside down from the picture. Because I sail solo most of the time, I just pull down on the vang and just let go. It tightens up and locks on its own. I do this with my big boat as well. Plus, I don't have to reach all the way to the mast to grab the line.

-Robert
1989 Capri Mod2
1984 Catalina 22

Attachment to the boom?

Thanks, Robert. That's incredibly helpful. One other question: How do you recommend I attach it to the boom? As I said, the screws were torn out of the aluminum. One of the pictures on the Harken diagram shows a screwed on eyestrap. The other shows a bolt-through shackle (which looks more sturdy to me, but more invasive).

Mike, while the boom hanger like Harken shows with the 4:1 fiddle transfers the forces on the screws to 90 degrees, the eye strap is all Catalina thought was necessary. Then again, you will see several posts here describing how those screws have pulled out.

You can either drill new screw holes, or it may be stronger to just use stainless steel rivets in the old holes. I've increased the screw size on mine, but am seriously thinking of a boom hanger "next time."

It seems to be working

Ed, Thanks for the advice. I decided to try drilling new holes and using screws. I installed the Harken 4:1 simple vang per Robert's advice & link (see below). I took the boat out the next day in pretty strong winds (10 -12, with some gusts). The eye strap held up really nicely and the boom was quiet and solid. I can't believe I sailed this boat without a boom vang. In the end it cost me $60 at West Marine.

Back