Hull / Deck join repair

PeterInTassie

At a training session at the weekend my daughters boat was t-boned by a skiff about 2 foot from the stern. It has taken a small chunk out edge of the deck, but more worrying, has split the hull / deck moulding join for 8-10 inches or so. My inclination is to grind out out the glue / filler along the split, and then reglue & clamp the mouldings together, finally filling edge of the deck with gelcoat repair putty.

Would this be a recommended approach?

Just one question now, perhaps for VTGENT49 or GOUVERNAIL, what glue to use - I gather the Laser is built of polyester resin, so either a polyester glue mix or epoxy would work. If polyester is suggested, could I make up a glue with polyester resin and a filler such as West glue powder that would usually be used to make up an epoxy glue?

Peter in Tassie

Hi Peter,

I use WEST, and without much filler to help it run into the crack as well as possible. That said, I do tip the hull about 45 degrees so too much doesn't run into the hull. See pic. I use packing tape on the outer edge, sticking up a quarter inch or so, to keep the spills off the top of the deck. You do have to fill, and refill a few times, as it slowly runs in.

When grinding/chipping the loose stuff, keep a shop vac going so the bits don't slide into some place that hinders a decent reclamping of the gunnels.

Can't seem to load the pic, I'll try later.

Al

Back