How to do a Vang on an older Sunfish with a pulley?

M25max

I would like to rig a vang on an old Sunfish with a single deck pulley for the halyard. The pulley is a simple single pulley. I guess the only way to rig a vang would be to install a small double pulley like in the Old Sunfish upgrade thread I read where I got the photo below. Is there a way to do it that is class legal? Is the double pulley class legal?

1719747376628.png

No. The double pulley was never standard on the sunfish. So not legal.
The standard way to vang is raise the sail, haylard to pulley or eyelet then cleat. The tail of line back through eyelet,over gooseneck, eyelet back to cleet. Thin line helps. A mast cleat helps. Used to have an older boat like yours and used a vang.

No. The double pulley was never standard on the sunfish. So not legal.
The standard way to vang is raise the sail, haylard to pulley or eyelet then cleat. The tail of line back through eyelet,over gooseneck, eyelet back to cleet. Thin line helps. A mast cleat helps. Used to have an older boat like yours and used a vang.
So you could fit two lines through the deck single pulley? Were you using a small diameter dyneema halyard?

It should be possible to get 3 lines (you need 3 not 2) thru the block as Charles said - may need to get a smaller diameter halyard.

Back