How often......

Esteroali

How often do you sail? Are most of you sailors seasonal or year round? When you sail ...is it all day or just a couple hours? I have only been able to sail once a week...because of work,family, etc. Luckily we live where we can sail year round and are close to the water(30 minute drive). I hope to get my own boat soon and sail more but it doesn't seem quite as fun sailing all alone. I was just curious because the learning curve seems proportional to time on the water.

Every weekend, total about 10 hours a week, my family has a shore house and I go up there and sail about 5 hours each day, sometimes more. Before the major regatta that my YC hosts, I spent a week practing every day with other kids in the junior sailing program. That helped considerably, just spending a bunch of time with other boats is much better practice than alone.

Kevin

Every weekend, total about 10 hours a week, my family has a shore house and I go up there and sail about 5 hours each day, sometimes more. Before the major regatta that my YC hosts, I spent a week practing every day with other kids in the junior sailing program. That helped considerably, just spending a bunch of time with other boats is much better practice than alone.

Kevin

I was a bright young keenie many moons ago. I have just returned to Laser sailing as an apprentice master after sailing 2 man skiffs for a while. Sailing a Laser is like riding a bike, once you have learned many of the skills they dont go away ( I suppose neither do your bad habits, and thats the secret of training), the one design racing is great no matter where you go and it is a great pleasure of my life just to pass the boat in my garage as I go to work every morning. So despite the fact that I sail only about a dozen times a year now, due to the commitments of a heavy work schedule and a young family, its great to be back.

i try and go out sailing at least twice a week for a few hours at a time, it is only possible for me to sail when the water isn't frozen.....

Mike94 from frozen Northwest Ohio said:
> i try and go out sailing at least twice a week for a few hours at a time,

Same here. On a (really) good week I'll race twice, and teach a couple of lessons at the University club; about 5-6 hours on the water. More typically, I race once and practice/play-around once for a total about 4 hours.

> it is only possible for me to sail when the water isn't frozen....

Ah, you need to discover "hard-water sailing"! Even my measly DN makes an Aussie-18 look tame in the speed department (it tops out at about 65 mph). Depending on where you live in Ohio, there may be an active iceboating community/club around. Check out:
http://iceboat.org/
http://www.sailingsource.com/ice/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IceBoating/

Cheers,

Geoff S.

thanks for the sites, i know a bunch of people with ice boats too i will try that out in the winter time. it seems fun and fast.

In the summer: 2 hours at least, every day if I can except sundays.
In the winter: Only two days a week.
Also, in the summer I spend monday to saturday daytimes coaching other people in singlehanders so I fit some sailing in then.

Sounds like you have a great job there Will ! Now which is the "envy" icon ....

:(

You must be enjoying the hot European summer this year. If you ever need an assistant let me know.

Back