How do I determine if my boom is already sleeved?

Brewcrew

It is my understanding that at some point, the Laser boom came from the factory already sleeved. Can it be determined by the hull # or year/place of manufacture?

Back in 1993, ILCA Rule 18 allowed for a metal sleeve (supplied by the builder) of
maximum length 710 mm to be fixed inside the boom such that it will not extend any
further than 815 mm from the front end of the boom (including plug). Later, As of 1
March 1977, ILCA Rule 18 allowed a metal sleeve supplied by the builder of maximum
length of 900 mm, with this sleeve positioned to extend up to 1220 mm from the front
end of the boom (including plug).

So...

We have no idea about what hull numbers correspond to these rule change dates, but the following should help: hulls corresonding to sail numbers 148878 or larger must be 1993 or newer hulls. Hulls corresponding to sail numbers 161736 or less can not be hulls shipped before 1 March 1997. (Source: drLaser FAQ)

But this is all too theoretical and of little help, unless you puchased your boat and boom brand new from an authorized Laser dealer at the same time. The best solution is just to CHECK YOUR OWN BOOM to see if it has a sleeve of the proper (900 mm) size.

To test, stick a metal measuring tape into the boom from the gooseneck end and see whether and where the "lip" at end of the tape catches on an inner tube's bottom edge.

For the new 90 cm sleeves, the latest Vanguard factory practice was reported as: "The sleeve aft end gets positioned 100 mm aft of the aft rivet on the forward mainsheet block." (However, a different position was used by Vanguard before this announcement.) From this, you can figure out approximately where the forward end of a 90 cm (or 60 cm) sleeve should be inside your boom.

There have been heated discussions about the ideal placement of a 90 cm sleeve
inside the boom on the NA Laser Mailing List.

A related article is available on the drLaser web site.

Shevy Gunter

Back