Hiking Strap Repair

Doug

My son has an old but well kept 1980 laser. In a regatta the foward end of the hiking strap and main sheet pad eye stripped out of the deck. We tried repairing by remounting a little off center but this repair failed as well. It was a windy regatta. It now appears that the only true fix is to thru bolt the strap and pad eye. This obviously entails installing an inspection port. Does anyone have any tips for the port installation ie: size, placement and do I have to install a port on each side of the centerboard trunk to bolt each side of the padeye since it appears there is no clearance to reach around the back of the trunk and the front of the cockpit?

Left is side is better then right side, if it is on the right you end up crashing into it with your knee going downwind but if you want to mount a starting watch on it the right makes the most sense.
5 inch is a good size hatch, allow for the centreboard case lip which is about an 1 inch out from the case. Dont use screws, silastic is all you need to hold it in.
There is a gap between the back of the centreboard case and the front of the cockpit wall.

Darryn's advice is spot on.

You can reach both fastners with a inspection port on one side - use a longer bolt on the side opposite the port, it will make threading the washer and nut on easier.

There's a little more info in the Laser FAQ here

Check out the the rest of the FAQ for more info on thru bolting the strap, I think there is one other article.

Back