Help with my rudder

Cavi

This is the rudder from my new to me sunfish, the blade looks like a very bad flberglass over wood repair job. The gideon looks like it is the newer type that someone welded a tube on to to make this setup work. I would like to go back to the newer style. Does this gideon just screw into the stern with machine screws? Could I just buy a new plate and swap them out or should I try and cut off the pipe that was welded on and fix up the one there? I would like to avoid installing an inspection port if possible. Last, what do I need for the new system? Is the laser performance rudder cheek all I need other than the tiller straps and the spring?
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/8...m_medium=shopping+engine&utm_campaign=froogle

Attachments

• rudder.jpg
    rudder.jpg
    1,013.8 KB · Views: 44
  • rudder2.jpg
    rudder2.jpg
    1,006 KB · Views: 45
  • gideon.jpg
    gideon.jpg
    642.1 KB · Views: 43
Okay, so i bought a new style rudder,complete. What do you all think. On the gideon? Try and just remove the tube that was welded in?

well, luckily I was correct, someone had just put that tube on the gideon, I am guessing with some sort of epoxy. after a couple of twists with lock pliers it twisted off and now it looks exactly as it should. so now all I need to do is wait for my rudder to arrive!!!

Back