harken...deck cleats

The_newkid6398

i know there's already a thread posted on deck cleats but they went off into left field on whether to use them or not. I'm not good enough not to have them so its not a question. I'm busy restoring my 84' laser, i'm working on replacing most of the old rusty hardware for newer. Dad says Harken is the best hardware brand around but i'm sure there are some out there who would love to differ:D. Any suggestions for deck cleats, i know zip about them:confused:, i just want to get this thing done right so i can start learning. Any particle make, model, specifications? thanks

-The New Kid:cool:

so i've heard... yeah the old man is occasionally pretty wise. still got to keep him in line though. I'm having a hard time finding the right size cleats to fit the pre-exsisting holes. In the link you provided, i did find the cleats i'm interested in but i'm not sure how to measure for hole spacing. is the the distance between both holes center, outisde diameters, or inside diameters. if i knew that then i could know what i'm looking for. anyone that replys to this, i strongly suggest clicking the link above so you'll know what i'm looking at and talking about. thanks

On an old boat, you might want to fill the holes with some WEST epoxy and redrill anyway, so the existing spacing might not be a real limitation in any case.

Most of the current cleats (Ronstan, Harken, RWO and Holt) all have the same hole spacing. I think its 38mm on the micro's, but not sure, its ages since I checked!
The Ronstan C cleat costs about the same as the Harken Carbo, but is reversible when it wears out. its my favourite, but then I grew up with Ronstan gear, so am slightly biased!

Back