Happy sailing

Hi everyone,

I just want to share my happy feelings with people who might understand them. A few years ago I purchased a beautiful old Sunfish, circa 1980, with a robin's egg blue bottom, lots of dents and scrapes, etc. Eventually I replaced the sail and the rudder, and named her Suzie May after my wife. I take her (the boat, not the wife) out on the Long Island Sound on late afternoons when the wind kicks up from the southwest. From well-meaning youtube advice I learned very little, but through trial and error a lot. Now I am at the point where I actually enjoy it, having achieved a modicum of competence. There is nothing in the world quite like the simple pleasure of becoming one with the wind and the waves, of feeling, without having to think, the tension in the sheet, and reacting instinctively, while the slanting sun spreads its rays on the sea and its warmth on your back. To people on the shore it's nothing spectacular, but the this sailor it's heaven on earth.

Schnee

My step dad grew up sailing on Long Island Sound. He lived in Northport, I believe. My favorite place to sail is at our family home on a lake in Northern Wisconsin. I get it where you talk about sailing without having to think about it and just sail by feel.
I'm able to do this a bit on our lake.

Attachments

• IMG_20230727_162214.jpg
    IMG_20230727_162214.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 29
Hi everyone,

I just want to share my happy feelings with people who might understand them. A few years ago I purchased a beautiful old Sunfish, circa 1980, with a robin's egg blue bottom, lots of dents and scrapes, etc. Eventually I replaced the sail and the rudder, and named her Suzie May after my wife. I take her (the boat, not the wife) out on the Long Island Sound on late afternoons when the wind kicks up from the southwest. From well-meaning youtube advice I learned very little, but through trial and error a lot. Now I am at the point where I actually enjoy it, having achieved a modicum of competence. There is nothing in the world quite like the simple pleasure of becoming one with the wind and the waves, of feeling, without having to think, the tension in the sheet, and reacting instinctively, while the slanting sun spreads its rays on the sea and its warmth on your back. To people on the shore it's nothing spectacular, but the this sailor it's heaven on earth.

Schnee
Beautiful post. Just last night I fulfilled a dream of sailing at sunset on Peconic Bay. There was a shaft of light and I sailed down it with peace and joy. I’m an older woman who will always be a novice. And I don’t mind. I love my little sailing adventures like the original poster said, heaven on earth.

Hi everyone,

I just want to share my happy feelings with people who might understand them. A few years ago I purchased a beautiful old Sunfish, circa 1980, with a robin's egg blue bottom, lots of dents and scrapes, etc. Eventually I replaced the sail and the rudder, and named her Suzie May after my wife. I take her (the boat, not the wife) out on the Long Island Sound on late afternoons when the wind kicks up from the southwest. From well-meaning youtube advice I learned very little, but through trial and error a lot. Now I am at the point where I actually enjoy it, having achieved a modicum of competence. There is nothing in the world quite like the simple pleasure of becoming one with the wind and the waves, of feeling, without having to think, the tension in the sheet, and reacting instinctively, while the slanting sun spreads its rays on the sea and its warmth on your back. To people on the shore it's nothing spectacular, but the this sailor it's heaven on earth. Hey dude, thanks for sharing! If you're ever looking for a change of scenery, check out boatyachtrentalmiami.com They have some sweet rentals that might add a new layer of fun to your sailing adventures. Miami's waters are stunning, and it could be a cool experience. Happy sailing!
Hi there!

Your story truly resonates with me. There's something magical about finding joy and peace in a simple activity like sailing. I recently restored an old Sunfish myself, a 1975 model with a bright yellow hull. Like you, I learned more from my own mistakes than from any tutorial. I take her out on a small lake near my home, usually in the early morning when the water is calm and the world is quiet. That feeling of connection with nature and the elements is indescribable. Cheers to many more beautiful sails on Suzie May!

Back