Gunwale Repair

olabert

Hello! My wife and I just purchased a 1988 Mod 1 Capri 14.2 as our first boat, and we're really excited to join this community. We've sailed it a handful of times now, and unfortunately had a minor accident on the last sail (the first of many, I'm sure). We don't usually pull in to a dock, so we were unprepared with fenders. As we stepped off onto the dock, the lip of the gunwale (if that's the proper term) caught on the dock and splintered a bit of fiberglass and gelcoat. I've attached some photos. I'm looking for advice on what materials/process I should use to repair the damage.

I'm not too concerned with aesthetics; I'm just interested in a quick, functional solution that will get us back out on the water. I also noticed other areas around the lip that are a little damaged from the previous owner(s). The joint at the bottom of the lip looks like it might be separating a little bit in some areas as well. We drained about a gallon of water (more than usual) after sailing in rougher/windier conditions, so perhaps water is coming in through this joint. I'll probably eventually try to install a rub rail to better protect the area, but for now, I think we'll just stick to beach launching.

Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you.

Attachments

• Starboard Previous Damage - also joint separation.jpg
    Starboard Previous Damage - also joint separation.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Another Area of Previous Damage on Starboard Side.jpg
    Another Area of Previous Damage on Starboard Side.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Close-Up of Damage.jpg
    Close-Up of Damage.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Bottom View of Damage.jpg
    Bottom View of Damage.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 84
  • Damage on Port Side.jpg
    Damage on Port Side.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 84
Older model 14.2s, before Mod 3 I think, did not have hull and deck joints sealed or glued together as well as they should have. So, you may need to seal obvious separations with a product such as 3M 5200 or 4200. For good and detailed instructions/suggestions regarding fiberglass repair I have always relied on Wes Systems manuals and an excellent book by Waitses (spelling) which I found years ago.

Back