Gelcoat colour match

Round the cans

Hi all,
I have just purchased some vela grey gelcoat and catalyst from laser Performance(uk) for some cosmetic repairs, when mixed and used on my Laser the colour match was way off being a lot whiter. My sail no is 190k, and am i expecting to much for it to be an exact match, has any one had a similar problem?, do you use a different gelcoat manufacturer?
Regards,
Stu.

Hi all,
I have just purchased some vela grey gelcoat and catalyst from laser Performance(uk) for some cosmetic repairs, when mixed and used on my Laser the colour match was way off being a lot whiter. My sail no is 190k, and am i expecting to much for it to be an exact match, has any one had a similar problem?, do you use a different gelcoat manufacturer?
Regards,
Stu.

Go to your nearest boat stuff dealer, (West Marine if you have one) buy some black gelcoat and mix in small amounts until it matches.

Hi all,
Regards,
Stu.

Are you sure your boat is vela gray? I've had good luck with color matching, especially with product from Vanguard (pre-LP), so something is off somewhere. You should contact them.

Like Merrily I had a 98 laser Kuna Red with some scratchs that I repaired when the boat was about 3 years old with color gelcoat from Vanguard, it matched near perfectly.

Maybe you didn't stir the gelcoat enough to even out any color seperation in the can?

Hi all,
Regards,
Stu.

Call Laser Perfromance UK.
They recently switched from vela grey to dawn grey, but I'm not certain when.
My UK boat was a 189xxx and vela grey was a perfect match (shipped from Laser Performance UK).

Phone: 01327 841600
Email: [email protected]

My boat is 187XXX. I just had it repaired with Grey Fog from LP and it was a perfect match.
Instead of using a sailboat dealer, I had it repaired by a fiberglass tub repair service that usually repairs tubs for the construction industry. They repair gelcoat everyday and did a great job.

The consensus is that if you know what you are doing, a perfect match is possible. But it isn't easy to get it right. Hulls fade in the sun and what might have matched the original color, won't necessarily match a few years later without making subtle adjustments.

I am pretty sure vela grey is the correct colour for a 190K boat. Dawn grey was the earlier colour.
I have used both and they matched perfectly.

Back