Fullrigs at CORK

crazysailor

3 years ago 31 people raced full rig at cork, 2 years ago 27 people, last year 22 people. i'm trying to get more people to go this year, or at least keep the number above 20 people. for those of you who don't know Cork is the Canadian Olympic Regatta of Kingston. it's in Kingston ontario, Canada. it's august 18 to 26. please i'm hoping to get the number of Fullrigs up over 30.

please let me know if you plan on attending.

Crazy Sailor

im geusing you are talking about youthfest at cork. the pre-cork event for youths because there were quite a few full rigs last year. enoufgh for a gold and silver fleet so that means about 100 boats at least.

Does the NA Laser Class Association still send it's Secretary and a team of helpers to register the Laser, Radial, and Laser 2 fleet?
From the first time Laser sailed at CORK until 2001 the NA Class would set up a separate table where all the Laser sailors would come and have their sails measured and stamped. The class representatives would check class memberships and in later years actually issue membership cards on site.
The memberships purchased at CORK were good until the day before the next CORK regatta began so two things would happen.
1. The people who signed up would get a full year of honest return on their investment
2. The class would be able to send regatta notices and newsletters to the member for an entire year cuminating with the invitation to came back to CORK and sign up for another year of fantastic sailing.

In addition to being a very useful tool for organizing the Canadian Laser fleet, the Secretary's attendance at CORK was great for PR purposes. The CORK organizers always gave the fleet special treatment because the Laser organization gave CORK special support.
Those who attended the regatta would see how hard the Laser Class employees worked and would learn how well their membership dues was spent.
For the first 32 years of CORK either Allan Broadribb or Fred Schroth was on the water for the entire regatta and ( once Lasers started showing up) serving as a Laser class representative. Allan generally served as PRO for the Laser course. Fred raced but visited with the race committee on shore, and between races on the water. Both were involved hands on, in scorekeeping and helped with any administrative matters that came up during the regatta.

How is the NA Class supporting CORK in the last few years? Does the NA Class still make certain it records the addresses of about 400 competitors at CORK each year and invite those four hundred addresees back for the next CORK??

Last time I sailed at CORK was 2002. That year I didn't see any evidence of Laser class support. There wasn't even anyone there to check the sails. Of course that was under the old regime so maybe things are better now?

On the note of CORK, how competitive do the L2's get? I recently picked up a beater that i'm fixing up, but new sails aren't in the budget. Is it worth coming with old sails or does everyone pretty much have new/almost new sails?

ive been at cork for the last 5 or so years and im quite sure the laser class people have been there every year. the l2 fleet is not really competitive at cork anymore. when there were the words some people got back in the boat for fun but its usually just junior sail people now

Back