first flip

lava

well I fliped for the first time today! I keep lousing the tiller when I switch sides during a quick turn, "jibe" I think it's called. Am I doing something wrong when I jibe? Any advice would help. Thanks, Mike

I am guessing you have a wood tiller extension. It's pretty slick and easy to slip through your hands. I had the same problem last summer and a poster on this site recommended I wrap a bunch of electrical tape near the end to give a better grip. Just keep wrapping the tape around until you get a good build up. Don't worry about being neat and tidy with one wrap exactly on top of the other, just wrap it around and around until you get a good "rounded knob". I used white tape. The tape will eventually start pealing away but it is easy to tear off the fraying piece.
I eventually replaced my tiller with the new style racing tiller. The padded foam grip is much easier to hang on to.

well I fliped for the first time today! I keep lousing the tiller when I switch sides during a quick turn, "jibe" I think it's called. Am I doing something wrong when I jibe? Any advice would help. Thanks, Mike

It's hard to judge from the info given what exactly caused you to capsize, but loosing the tiller (extension) is never a good thing. But it happens to me as well from time to time :eek:

All I can say is, practice, practice, practice.

I am guessing you have a wood tiller extension. It's pretty slick and easy to slip through your hands.
I eventually replaced my tiller with the new style racing tiller. The padded foam grip is much easier to hang on to.

Years ago, the "State of the Art" was to mount a sail clip on the end of the tiller extension. Drill a small hole for the locking pin on the clip and then wrap it with tape. This worked well, but the metal tiller extensions are now the way to go.

Pete

Thanks for all the advice, I think I flipped because I leaned to the other side to grab the tiller. I thaught there might be a trick, like lupping a loose line around it (the tiller) , to keep it from going so far out of reach so fast. I have ordered the sunfish bible, have it in a week or so, are there any instructional web sights? I am ruster than I thaught. Thanks everyone, Mike

Back