Failed Leak Test, Tube Top Delam

danny_b_mt

After my '71-'73 (hull #581) failed a leak test yesterday afternoon, I investigated and found that the wood reinforcement under the deck is falling off. Because all the water leaked out, I know that the bottom of the tube is leaking as well.

After reading all the threads and posts on this topic, here's my plan:

1. Cut an inspection port at least ten inches from the mast step abaft of the step and between the centerline and the rail. I plan on cutting it 11" and at about 7:30.

2. Inspect the base of the step including the plywood base and donut and the entire tube for cracks, missing chunks, etc.

3. Clean up the area at the top of the step and surrounding the top of the step where all this wood is becoming delaminated and falling off.

4. Sand and clean everything

5. Apply layer of epoxy, then fabric.

I think, based on the info in all the threads on this topic I can handle all of the above. My question concerns that messy area up top. Does the disintigration shown in the pictures substantially reduce the strenght of my mast step? Is glassing this area enough or do I need to cut out all the old wood and replace with new wood as structural support?

Please take a look at these photos and let me know what you think my course of action should be. The block of wood/fiberglass in the photo I found just sitting loose under the deck.

Thanks

db

Here are those photos:

Attachments

• HPIM0388.JPG
    HPIM0388.JPG
    431.1 KB · Views: 62
  • HPIM0389.JPG
    HPIM0389.JPG
    432.2 KB · Views: 61
  • HPIM0390.JPG
    HPIM0390.JPG
    410.1 KB · Views: 49
  • HPIM0391.JPG
    HPIM0391.JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 53
  • HPIM0393.JPG
    HPIM0393.JPG
    726.5 KB · Views: 47
  • HPIM0394.JPG
    HPIM0394.JPG
    809.5 KB · Views: 46
  • HPIM0397.JPG
    HPIM0397.JPG
    443.8 KB · Views: 55
  • HPIM0396.jpg
    HPIM0396.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 40
IF that is the top of the mast, i can't see why you couldn't do away with the wood, cove the area with epoxy/West system silica mix and then use 4-5 layers of Double Bias cloth to reinforce the join instead of the wood.

I think they used the wood because there is only CSM mat holding that corner together. DB is far more structural.

Based on the two holes in the loose piece of wood I'm guessing that is the backing for the cunningham fairlead. You'll want to replace some wood there (aft of the tube) or at least build up that area thick enough that the mounting screws have enough to bite into.

Otherwise, clean up the top part and repair/reinforce it just like the bottom part. It might help the flip the boat deck down onto some saw horses so gravity is helping you with the repair.

Thanks Chainsaw and Sorosz. Going to pick up an inspection port, West System, and Double bias cloth. I guess I'll chip the donut away, re-glass the entire cylinder, rebuild the base joint and the deck joint, add some 1/2 inch plywood through which to through-bolt the downhaul fairlead, and pour a touch of epoxy into the bottom of the step from above. Anything else you can think of?

I'll post photos of the process.

Other than a few fiberglass surfboard repairs, i haven't worked with the stuff too much so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Back