Exposed fibreglass .. need little info please.

Reon

Hi as you prob know i have just bought a new laser ... the question i have is it has a scratch on the bottom hull at the bow. It exposes the fiberglass .. only about 2 inches long and 2-3 milimeters wide... i have ordered gelcoat .. but it arrives on the 20th of August and the first race is on the 19th of August ... is it best not to use the boat until it has been gelcoated? or will one race not affect it?

cheers
Reon

I would not hesitate to race it, but make sure it is completely dry before you put the new gelcoat on.

yeh i was thinking about it today ... and i am just going to put some tape over that spot :rolleyes: then i wont have to worry...

cheers for help
Reon

My laser had a 1 inch wide 6 inch long patch of fibre glass exposed from beaching when I got it. I am sure this is not recommended but I just spread epoxy resin over the area. 9 months later the resin is still shiny and hard. Can't see any change in condition. Some gaffer tape like you suggest would probably work for a while.

My old boat has big areas of exposed figerglass on the bow and stern (from beach landings as a before I knew any better) and they don't seem to let in water or slow the boat (as far as i can tell). Fix it after the season and ignore it for now is my advice.

:D It only needs to last a day.. as i have the correct colour gelcoat coming a day after the race ... then there is two weeks before the next race........ the tape will only be on for that day ... really it won't be necessary but just for piece of mind :p I should know all this from my 505 days ... but as its a new boat .... bah you know how it goes ;)

"The most exciting day for any sailor new or experienced is that first sail on a new boat"

Back