Exchange Sails, Devon. A Warning

Clyde sailor

In 2019 after receiving a recommendation from a friend who told me he had bought a reasonable headsail from Exchange Sails. I purchased two sails a Genoa and a Mainsail, which were said to be the best of their used sail stock, both rated 9 on their scale of 1 to 10 which suited my boat.
What I received were two sails that were dirty, stretched and baggy and I would have been ashamed to be seen putting in a skip let alone on my boat. A skip is probably where they got them from.
In addition they were not to the dimensions described, the old sail numbers were still on both plus the new sail number on the main were incorrect.
Unsurprisingly I contacted Exchange Sails by phone and spoke to the owner John and as the sails were not as described or in a reasonable condition, asked for a full refund which was agreed without argument.
I returned the sails by TNT and waited for the refund to arrive.
After 2 weeks I contacted Exchange Sails by phone and asked why I had not received my refund to be told by Kate that they sent refunds at the end of each month and I would receive my full refund at the start of the next month.
When this didn’t happen I again phoned to receive an apology and assurance that the refund would be made next month. As I was unhappy with this, they agreed to try to send it sooner.
Over the next months I received no refund but a variety of excuses from Kate, as John was never available, ranging from its the bank’s fault to we are waiting payment of a large order, we’ll send you part of the refund when we get that. It seems they live from hand to mouth and desperate for any money in anyway they can get it?
As time went on my patience totally ran out and I was forced to resorted to the small claims court which I found was an easy process and I was awarded an additional amount for costs.
I then put the issue in the hands of a debt collector, 2020 was the year of COVID and this allowed for things to drag on with travel restrictions etc.
This was of course exasperated by Exchange Sails giving them the run around with I believe various delaying tactics, eventually not answering their phone calls or emails.
After nearly a year I finally agreed to take the next step of paying for an asset declaration which eventually produced the debt being paid in two parts to the Bailiffs.
It was not a great deal of money but I hate anything being stolen from me so I was not prepared to let this debt go.
It has taken the best part of 3 years and a deal of hassle to get my money back from Exchange Sails, they certainly did whatever they could to keep my money.
Since the start of my experience I have heard of others being subjected to similar treatment from Exchange Sails even to the extent of sails never being delivered, sails cut or badly patched to name a couple of examples but this is hearsay so I cannot vouch for these stories being true.
I am publishing this story as it is true and a warning to anyone who considers dealing in any way with Exchange Sails.

Back