Double hiking strap?

Thread starter #1
So While I was practicing for Bacardi today, I thought why not use the awesomeness of a double strap on a laser? Is it legal? I know how to do it, just is it legal...:confused:

R

Ross B

What I just read for part 17, on page 36 for hiking strap, it says nothing about what kind of strap must be used, be it single style, Opti-double style, or that very cool Star style.

LPW

Stars dont capsize. Lasers do. Dont know bout you, but i dont like the idea of getting trapped under the boat unable to get my feet out of the straps.

R

Ross B

Star's do capsize! They will lay on their side! Not so much turtle, but they will lay right over.

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
If it isn't specifically allowed by the Laser class, it's illegal. Clearly, such a (double) strap would give some people an advantage. Therefore, I will vote for 49208.

Thread starter #13
For some reason, It wont let me edit my posts. Mods?

There's a simple solution to that! Dont capsize!

But yeah, so stoked that it's "legal". Even if it isnt, It would be cool for club races and such.

Merrily

Administrator
You only have a few minute window to edit your post. Don't remember exactly how long. If you tried to edit your post immediately and it didn't work, then we need to get Bradley on it.

Rob B

You can't assume, it has to be written in the rules, which it is not.
The general rule of thumb on laser class rules is this. "If it is not stated in the rules then it is NOT allowed."

Also, I can only see an advantage to this thing on long weather legs, (which does not happen often).

How quick can you get out of it if you capsize and, (more likely) run into the surprise starboard tacker???

R

Ross B

The general rule of thumb on laser class rules is this. "If it is not stated in the rules then it is NOT allowed."

Ok, I understand this, but it doesn't even say that it must be a single strap, it doesn't say anything about the strap at all!

Rob B

OK. Let's say it's legal. Why would you want it?

Other than the, (not too often) long heavy air weather leg where you are on one tack for an extended period of time I would see the thing as more of a distraction and added possibility of getting stuck in it at the wrong moment than being an overall advantageous piece of gear.