Class Politics Deck Repairs

madyottie

Apprentice
I recently bought an old laser (67141) from Ebay. I've spent most of the english winter prepping it for the new season, but here's my big question.....

The mast step has apparently been ripped out or very badly damaged in this boats lifetime, and the whole deck is rather soft. Around the mast step, the deck has been expertly repaired, and reinforced with a large pentagon-shaped plywood panel, which has been glassed into the deck.

Does this panel automatically disqualify my boat from ILCA sanctioned events, or is there a redundancy clause sommewhere in the small print?

Anyone who knows/has an opinion, please state it here!!!! :)

I will offer only a realistic answer...not an official one.
A. because I am not official anything
B. because the official answer really does not matter much...I sincerely hope as you will see below..

Your repaired boat description says to me that you have a toy that may offer you many more bours of great fun. In fact it may sail for years and years.

With a soft deck, a Laser lacks a lot of the structural integrity that gives the hull stiffness. Without stiffness, the boat will be more likely to flex at times when stiff new boats will bounce and go over the waves.
Translation? You good old well repaired Laser may be lots of fun but, side by side with newer nicer boats, it will sail a bit more slowly.
So...My practical answer relates to real people and friends who might be playing with you on racecourses.
I believe they will be happy to see you and glad to have you as a member of their gang of sailors.
If you beat them around the course, they will gather around you to ask how you pushed that thing around in front of them...not to throw you out for beating up on their nice new toys with your good old well loved clunker.

Enjoy yourself!! I hope you make a lot of new friends who sail Lasers and bring new friends of your own to introduce them to the great fun!!.

Sign me,
A sailor who owns lots of old clunker boats that go slowly and provide great fun for lots of us.

Fred

Back