Converting a trailer for two lasers?

jlapennas

Hey Everyone - I have utility trailer that I've been working on for hauling my laser. Then a crazy thing happened...I bought another one. I'll be driving cross country this summer with both and would like to create a trailer support system that will be the nicest for them. Basically I'm starting with a flat plywood surface about 13 feet long and 5 feet wide.

I'm a carpenter so I have access to a lot of tools. My plan for the first one was to create custom curved supports out of 2x6 for under the hull at the mast step and behind the cockpit. These would then be carpeted and maybe even have some kind of foam on them for such a long drive. It doesn't seem like I can just flip the other one upside down on top of the first with some kind of stiff foam supports (maybe stiff foam insulation). Do I need to build a double decker kind of deal? Is it generally better to trailer lasers hull down or up?

Thanks.

Hi,
here I have found a small photo of someone of the Netherlands that offered his roadtrailer (selfmade) for two Lasers at ebay in 2006. I hope it gives you some inspirations. It is better (from the current, if you drive fast on the road) to have the hulls stored upside down.

Ciao
LooserLu

Attachments

• Trailer for 2 Laser.jpg
    Trailer for 2 Laser.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 118
I built a stacked trailer using curved 2x6's for supporting the decks just as you described. I also used carpeting over the 2X6's. This has work really well.

Back