clew things

hi

What do u use to tie down the clew at the moment i have a pice of rope is this the best thing or is the clew sleeve better or the clew strap their are meny differant things out there so tell me what you use .:)

meny thanks

187490:)

I use the white velcro clew strap. I found that with using lines was that they would go on a diagonal so it was hard to get it in or out. I haven't tried the sliding metal sleeve (use the search function, theres a thread about this product) or a piece of PVC tube yet, I think that using the strap is perfect. There are a few types of clew straps, some of them are reinforced with a hard plastic which is "boom friendly."

hey, don't get the metal sleeve thing... it doesn't allow your clew to go all the way down to the boom. =/

from aps:
11591-1.jpg

i think im going to use the clew hook:

6414-1.jpg

... looks like a good idea. not sure if that lets you go all the way down either....

why does it not allow your clew to go all the way down the boom? always worked fine for me

i use ropes, no hook or sleeve or whatever for me, the most reliable and, try as good as you want, you never get the sail closer to te boom then with a good piece of rope (with the right diameter of course), the hooks happen to fail in time of need ;)

Ok, show of hands here: How many people lost a regatta because the other guy had his clew a fraction of an inch closer to the boom than you did? Personally, I have a whole lot better BS excuses for why I didn't win than the clew wasn't close enough to the boom. . .

If it's that freaking important why hasn't someone figured out a way to attach the clew to the bottom of the boom?!?

Use the clew sleeve and make your sailing life easier and more fun since you spend that much less time rigging and de-rigging. It's plenty close to the boom; much closer in fact than the majority of people I see tying their clews only to have the line stretch or the knots slip or otherwise botch the job.

If it's that freaking important why hasn't someone figured out a way to attach the clew to the bottom of the boom?!?

careful, Ross may be about. That's rule changin' talk!

in fact than the majority of people I see tying their clews only to have the line stretch or the knots slip or otherwise botch the job.

Now that's just slanderous! My knots have never come undone! :D

(What you can almost gaurantee is that when you want a rope not to catch or tie itself into a knot, once on the water and at a least wanted time, it will.)

Right, someone's gonna pay for that remark...

Yeah... those velcro straps...it's them, they're the evil ones! I've had them let go. Don't ask me what I was doing at the time. It's irrelevent. :rolleyes:

(If you want to avoid line stretch while you tie a knot, release the outhaul and vang first.)

I love the hook. I only get a certain amount of time for my hobby, and I'd rather spend it on the water than in the parking lot.

if you lift up the boom, and tie the clew on the side of boom, it will always be tight, and i dont know about you guys, doesnt take me much longer than a strap or a hook. priceless it is to see a sailor rounding the topmark easing the outhaul, and watch when the clewhook fails ;) happens more then you think, a lot of people now start to use a retaining line, to keep the hook secured, but hey, then you couldt better tie it down with a piece of rope.

I'll admit I haven't had the harken sleeve for long, but in my experience its far better than the other options! I guess the bottom of the clew on my boat is like 2 or 3 mm of the boom. wow. considering I'm a bit on the heavy side, I dont think thats gonna slow me down much, especially when considering how much better it slides than my rope ever did!

Its a pretty expensive hunk of metal. I wish I invented it. $45 for $1 worth of material. What a profit margin!

Look deimos I'm sorry, dang what is with you. It's like you pretend I'm not here. I'm not the only person to note that in photos the clew sleeve seems to let the clew of the sail lift from the boom maybe a little! I mean, it's a little but 'every little bit helps.' And I'm JUST trying to help. Just want to give some input, like everyone else here. Gee. http://laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=5228

Deimos stop being such a punk, if you don't have anything to add to conversation that moves it forward, or is positive, then get out

yes of course Merrily, we've already talked and hopefully things have been worked out

Victor,
The hook on both the tied down version and the sleeve version is absolutly,
positively mounted backwards, or wrong. The straight end MUST be to port.
As shown, the block is pulling on the wrong side of the hook loop and will
allow the sail to pop off the hook. This is a common mistake in set up of both
models and can account for some unwanted releases. John Christianson

Ok, well I'll remember that if I decide to buy one. These aren't my pictures they're from APSltd.com and i just used em cause they're the best pics online. I guess aps was wrong. I actually noticed this myself and thought, hmm that doesn't let the sail get all the way down to the boom.... it looked wrong. So it needs to be flipped over.

dude, trust me, 1/4 of an inch is not going to win or loose a race for you

just get the JC Strap and be done with it

Back