Can a laser full rig beat a 420?

Naren

Hi,
I was wondering does anyone reckon that tom slingsby could beat Nathan Wilmot and Malcom Paige in their 470?

i have raced a 420 and the laser was a lot faster then the 420, but the 420 did not use a spinnaker down wind. laser is faster then a 420 with out a spinnaker but i have no experience racing a 420 with a spinnaker

The Portsmouth numbers reflect my experience sailing against both the 420 and 470. The Laser (91.1) is faster than the 420 (97.7) and slower than the 470 (86.3).

not a surprise, whats the difference between a 420 and 470? i know that the 470 is a little bigger so it probably has more sail area but its has a better rating then both boats. is it just the size or is there more to it?

I think it would come down to conditions on the day. The 420 is very undercanvassed, so in anything under 10 knots a laser will sail away from it easily. In 20+, I've seen a 420 beating lasers on the water at our club. That said, the guy sailing the 420 was world class, and the laser sailors weren't.
the 470 is also a bit undercanvassed, and I've beaten them in light winds. They dont seem to point very well in the light stuff, but once the breeze is up, they become much quicker, and point higher too. I dont think we could hang with them in much over 15 knots.

It is interesting that the PN scheme rates the 470 as faster than the PY scheme (when compared to a Laser).

Also interesting if you with the PN wind dependant handicaps to compare the Laser to a 420; as the wind increases so the 420 "speeds-up" more than the Laser (i.e. it becomes a closer competition). Not done the same comparison for a 470 as it all gets too much like work at that point.

Ian

Hi,
I was wondering does anyone reckon that tom slingsby could beat Nathan Wilmot and Malcom Paige in their 470?

The title of your post says 420 then you ask about a 470....a Laser does not have the horsepower to beat a 470 in any conditions...in light air a Laser can beat a 420 though...

Back