Best way To Patch these Holes?

acs026

So I have to visible holes in the 1962 sunfish that I recently got to work on. I have been reading up on doing fiberglass patching. I know that the one on the bow I can easily reach from behind with a port. The one on the side, is along side the cockpit and dont think I am going to be able to get to it from the back side. I was wanting to know the best way to patch this particular from the front?

My plan for the one in the bow is to do the layered sheets and patch it from the back side, then do gel coat on the front to reform the bow? Is this correct? :confused:

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 53
Okay so your patching fiberglass. First thing to do is get a grinding wheel on a drill or grinder. and make tapperout the fiberglass from the hole about 2-3 inches all the way around. then vaccuum the area and wipe with acetone to clean it . youll notice the base of the fiberglass is wide woven type and the top layers are matting then gelcoat. the gelcoat is very thin maybe a 1/8 inch. then layer fiberglass about three layers but no more than that at one time.(if is is put on too thick it can over heat and it can weaken from the chemical reaction.) after that you need to sand it downwhere it will be 1/8inch below where you want the gelcoat to end. I would buy gelcoat and spray it with a prevail sprayer. just thin it down enough for the prevail sprayer to spray freely. I did this to mine in large areas and you can't tell that it was ever repaired. I was told by boat repairman that it looked better than most the work he has done and seen. Good luck! IF YOUR IN S.E. MA OR RI I CAN SEND YOU TO THE MARINA THAT GOT ME THE GELCOAT AND SUPPLIES!

Back