Beaten up Sunfish

Thread starter #21
L&VW, I will give you the stern section if you want it but am removing the rudder gudgeon and backer since I upgrade the old rudders. I can (try to) cut straight across from just behind the traveler. I will make a diagonal cut at bow, before stripes. And the coaming is yours for your offered price of $26 if you can use it. Here’s a close-up honest pic-

Attachments

L&VW

Here's the project I had in mind:
Sunfish Coaming

I don't need the (yellow) "splash guard". (I should get a $45 refund?) :p

The two pieces would slide into a 2-inch-wide sleeve of cardboard.
White cockpit "margin" (1), and flat rear deck (2).

(Not as easy as it sounds, perhaps I should find my own wreck?) :(

Fullscreen capture 832018 72622 PM.bmp.jpg

L&VW

I would've picked them up by car, but with that cockpit :eek: I'd be starting at a "minus". :oops:

You've convinced me—those two parts will not "live on in others". :(

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Yeah, Roller, ya just gotta weigh the costs in time & materials... sometimes it isn't worth it, especially when BB can quickly strip everything else including the rig and use it elsewhere. Poor ol' boat... I bet if that old torn-up hull could talk, it could tell some stories, LOL. :eek:

Thread starter #28
L&VW, my cutout is rough, but your plan is a good one! Here’s the rear deck cockpit from the trashed hull, now protecting one of my projects. Maybe I’ll work on it to fit better over the winter, but it definitely helps now to keep the cockpit and bailer clean and dry. Thanks for sharing your creative idea!

Attachments

L&VW

It just needs a big rock and a bungee to fit securely. :confused:

:) Even "rough", I'm delighted to see that... :)

...but the stripes are going the wrong way! ;)

Thread starter #30
" Your hull has seen some serious abuse and deserves the long dirt nap in your local landfill."

If there were any doubts about saving this one they were gone when I saw this interior! I snapped a pic of bottom of cockpit because I thought it was pretty cool to see the tub to hull glueing. Much of this boat will be re-used or repurposed. The cockpit will go in the back forty and be a good flower pot- has drainage hole, too. The rest, as Alan suggests, gets the long dirt nap.
image.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

L&VW

" Your hull has seen some serious abuse and deserves the long dirt nap in your local landfill."
If there were any doubts about saving this one they were gone when I saw this interior! I snapped a pic of bottom of cockpit because I thought it was pretty cool to see the tub to hull glueing. Much of this boat will be re-used or repurposed. The cockpit will go in the back forty and be a good flower pot- has drainage hole, too. The rest, as Alan suggests, gets the long dirt nap.
As the years go by, you might appreciate having established raised beds for your "cockpit" gardening projects earlier in life. (And thanks for that picture!) :)

With our efforts to "re-purpose" landfill Sunfish, a very sad picture--at least to me...:
:eek:

Fullscreen capture 9202018 54413 AM.bmp.jpg

L&VW

Having the cubby is very worthwhile, and all of my mid-70's Sunfish have them.

One improvement would be to install a "drawer", so the contents could be slid closer. Maybe the cubby from a "dirt-nap" Sunfish could be sawed off, cleaned of foam, and trimmed to fit? Maybe a rope handle in front?

The taper isn't ideal, and one might lose 8-inches or more of storage but, depending on the stored items—and the immediate need for them—the convenience of access could make up for it.

Just a thought...:)

Fullscreen capture 10112018 71451 PM.bmp.jpg