Batten Pocket Repair

Delano

How do I go about repairing a batten pocket? The tear is just big enough that the tip of the batten pokes out.

The best is to take it to a local sailmaker and let them fix it.

If it's the inboard end of the pocket, and the elastic is not torn, you can make a temp repair with a 3 layers of sticky dacron tape - a 3" or 4" circle will do. It makes a smoother repair if you do it with the batten in the pocket , it doesn't matter if the tape has wrinkles, as long as the sail doesn't.

If the elastic is torn as well, a sailmaker is the answer. Typically it should cost between $15 and $30 to repair/replace the inboard end of the pocket

for the most part i agree with 49208...

i'd take it into a local loft first and ask, if it's nothing big they might just do it for free or give you the stuff to fix it with

otherwise, yeah, they'll probably say 15-30 bones for them to do it

I just had two small rips, (one inch or so in length each) caused by a looped main around a dock cleat that resulted in a capsize, repaired in my sail for $65. But then again I'm sailing in Arizona. Not many sail lofts here. The price could be indicitive of supply and demand. Or just a good lesson to not have someone else tender your boat for you!

Thank you

I took it to a sailmaker and he patched it for $20. He also put patches on scratches I did not see.

I have repaired my batten pockets with 3M 5200 sealant. IT WORKS!
Look it up in Crusing World last year.

Back