Auto Bailer

I just bought a laser after a long lay off from sailing

I reckon it's a little beauty but the bailer doesn't shut when I push the plug in, after using my considerable decetive skills I bought some "return bands" from the shop but after that I am stuck, are they easy to put in and do I have to take the bailer out of the boat?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Owyn

Ya you just unscrew it, and then you will see some broken "O" Rings, just rplace them where the broken ones were. Its pretty simple. You have to first take out the plug from the metal rod. THen reattach it after you have replaced the O rings

>> do I have to take the bailer out of the boat?

don't forget to use some silicone etc. on the mounting screw when you put the bailer back into the hull.

yah i made the mistake of not putting silicone on it and it took 4 minutes to drain my boat after a day of racing which having that much water in your boat is not fast

The answer to the original question? Yes, you need to take the bailer out of the boat, reassemble it and then reinstall it.

A few years ago I drew some lousy pictures and posted them on my website. Maybe the photos and article will help. The address below will get you to the top of the page, scroll to the bottom and back up a little. The stuff about bailers is the last article on the page.

http://cerebus.winsite.com/fred/LaserMaint.htm

Back