Allen HD Kit to be discontinued?

alienp2

Hi All,

First time post so please be gentle (and I've already discovered you can't edit the thread title!) ...

I don't want to start a new thread on Harken v Allen/Holt (plenty of those already) but having just found a good price for the Allen XD kit and being uncomfortable spending more on the Harken kit than I spent on the hull & 2 rigs (old boat - needs a bit of work) was about to press the button and order. However, this particular supplier has advised that Laser are to discontinue the Allen kit.

I can't find this information anywhere else and I'm sot sure how Laser can discontinue something they don't make. Has anyone else heard? Does that mean that it stops being class legal? Unlikely to matter for the current boat, but if my son really takes to the Laser (and proves he can sail it without knocking great chunks out of it) then I had planned on keeping the XD kit when upgradingeverything else.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The big question - will it stop being class legal - No. If it was once approved, it stays approved.

There can be a number of reasons why it's no longer offered, mostly supply or relationship problems between Vendor (H/A nee Allen Bros) and Builder (Laser Performance)

As a dad, I had the same concerns when my son started his Laser journey. I put him in a beater boat, and he proved that he was capable of taking care of it. After a year or two, we moved him into a newer boat. Sounds like you have similar thoughts.. Good luck to both of you

AlanD may pop up here.

I believe the kit needs to be 'builder supplied' otherwise it is not class legal so Allen are not supposed to sell this part direct.

Harken did this (and may still be doing this) but the body of the assembly did not have the Laser stamp on it (so outside of the rules).

So the answer is they cannot stop it being made but they can make it not class legal if it is not stamped and 'builder supplied'.

I think the grey area is what happens if a vendor continues to manufacture and sell hardware, but just outside of builder-approved channels. It may look and function just like class-legal hardware but it technically illegal to race with.

However as noted above, anything bought with the Laser logo is grandfathered in for life. I believe the message is buy it now while you can.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I should call the retailer to check it is class approved & bearing the right marks then go for it.

AlanD may pop up here.

I believe the kit needs to be 'builder supplied' otherwise it is not class legal so Allen are not supposed to sell this part direct.

Harken did this (and may still be doing this) but the body of the assembly did not have the Laser stamp on it (so outside of the rules).

So the answer is they cannot stop it being made but they can make it not class legal if it is not stamped and 'builder supplied'.

I don't think Harken offered the same system/design for sale - they offer something similar, but the design is different enough that it's pretty easy to look at and say "that is not the Laser approved system" (purchases are reversed etc)

6fde5af8-34fb-4d96-b98d-8653937f18dc.jpg

Back