2008 O'Days

ClintonEdwards

In March, I will be attending the USSA Spring Meeting. I am making a presentation to the O'Day Championship Committee to revive the Sunfish as part of this rotation. Currently the Laser has been the preferred boat as the winner gets invited to the US Olympic Singlehand (Laser) Trials. I have been campaigning for this for over a year.

I'm looking for a spot on the eastern seaboard between Charlseton and Jacksonville. Vanguard will be supply 16 boats of the 24 boat fleet. Vanguard doesn't want to bring these boats home, so most if not all, HOPEFULLY, will be presold/sold at the regatta.

I need some clubs to make a soft commitment to host this regatta.

Thanks
Clinton Edwards

Thanks for the update Clinton! Keep on em' this would be great for the class.

For those of you who may not be familiar with the O’Day Championship here is a link to the back ground on the US Sailing site...US Sailing - O'Day Championship

If this does happen will that mean that ALL of the ladder events for the O’Day Championship would be sailed in Sunfish?

I remember years ago (actually years and years and years ago) the ladder events where held in whatever was the popular boat in any given region and then the Championship would be in whatever boats the host club had. Has this changed?

According to Ron Kutkewicz, in NY they're using Sunfish for Laser ladder events. I know when I was a junior, I sailed Sunfish a number of time for Laser ladder events, much for the same reasons as today's--Few Lasers available to loan, higher boat cost, juniors not having ready access ... etc.

The goal would be for the ladder events to be in 'Fish, but US Sailing organizers would have to put forth the effort in each Area to coordinate with Sunfish Regions to pull it off effectively.

Much the same as with college sailing. A want for everyone to have exactly the same thing, but doubt it can ever happen!

In USSA Ladder events...each area/host has the right to pick the boat.
GYA Quarterfinals for Mallorys, Adams, and Jr Triplehand are always sailed in the Flying Scot.

Clinton

Back