1979 Sunfish restoration

I am having fun doing it, but once I am done I will be sailing it! I figure after 30 years of neglect spending some time bringing it back to life can’t hurt before putting it back into service.

Hey River Time, your before and after pictures are really great. In the "before" photos, are those just general abrasions that occur over time or are they "cracks in the gel coat"? I have been wondering what that looks like.

Hey River Time, your before and after pictures are really great. In the "before" photos, are those just general abrasions that occur over time or are they "cracks in the gel coat"? I have been wondering what that looks like.
Norcalsail...the boat was stored upside down under a deck and there was a small set of wheels attached to the gudgeon bracket that allowed it to be rolled in and out over plywood that was laying on top of the sand. Over time the plywood deteriorated and the bow was laying in direct contact with the sand when I rescued it, but the rest of the deck was raised off the ground. Consequently, those marks were only on the surface of the gelcoat and came from laying on some decaying leaves, etc. They would not come off with powerwashing, or even acetone. It took compound and several passes with the orbital polisher to remove them. What you can’t see in the pics is that there are some small blisters in the gelcoat from laying on the damp sand for 30 years which I am leaving alone. There are also some deep scratches in an arc pattern across the bow from the interlocking eye bolts connecting the spars. I think that is pretty common and not worth fixing.

To your question regarding sea deck.
I used sheet stock of hydro turf to cover up a deck repair and to assist in the sliding around on the deck.
Worked great and has held up 3 seasons with the boat on the beach all summer. On DE Bay, so it’s tough conditions.
I actually don’t like that I can’t slide around as easily, but it was a small price to pay to not have to refinish the deck after extensive fiberglass repairs at rear and sides of cockpit

Back