1966 Sunfish

jmayernik

I just picked up a 1966 Alcort Sunfish with a nice trailer for $150. I really bought it for the trailer for my fishing kayak but I am interested in maybe fixing the Sunfish. It had a hole patched on the bottom the owner drilled a hole in the back and drained the water then patched out. I just weighed the hull and it is 230 lbs. My question is should i put in 2 inspection ports and try to dry or remove the foam? If i remove the foam could I just use inflatable pontoon bags instead of redoing foam? Thanks in advance for your wisdom. The boat overall is in nice shape.

Attachments

• IMG_20200721_092951.jpg
    IMG_20200721_092951.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
Well, I have one like that, was a couple years newer and not quite as heavy (180 lbs). Used two inspection ports, some time and a $15 computer fan and the boat weighs 130ish pounds. The foam is structural and removing is a pain in the butt. I will let the more experience people give you probably better advice, but he port solution is low effort, you just have to wait, and worked well for me

Looks like you live in a warm, dry area which will speed the drying. The two-port approach will work. Black plastic bags taped on sun-side up will heat the boat even more.

Once you get it dried out you’ll have to find the leaks and fix them so this doesn’t happen again.

Back