Wooden Sunfish Transom Size

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by signal charlie, May 9, 2016.

1. signal charlie

signal charlie Active Member Staff Member

Howdy

Did Alcort make 2 different size wooden Sunfish hulls? The 1st Gen hull has a tiny transom, like the Sailfish family, as you can see in the picture. But I just came across a wooden hull owner whose boat used the same size rudder vertical plate as the fiberglass boats. There is about a 3 inch difference between the vertical plates of our wooden Sunfish and the "old style" fiberglass boat.

Maybe they switched to match the fiberglass boats, or a kit was modified to use the "newer" hardware?

Cheers
    KB
    chip rudder plates.jpg

Old Old style Sailfish/Super Sailfish/wooden Sunfish elephant ear rudder on bottom, Old style Sailfish/Super Sailfish/wooden Sunfish rudder with bigger spoon blade and small vertical plate on top of "old style" rudder assembly for the fiberglass Sunfish.
    rudders.jpg

2. Arbor16

Arbor16 New Member

I have a pre 1971 sunfish that has the old style rudder. I don't know where to get the pit to hold the rudder onto the hardware. The pin that goes in the hole at the top. Do any of you know where I could get one and the chain to hold it onto the boat. The pin about 2-3 inches long.

3. Arbor16

Arbor16 New Member

I Think it is called a pintle pin

4. Webfoot1

Webfoot1 Active Member

Pintle pins show up on Ebay once in a while. Just use a bolt and wing-nut. Keep a couple
    extra on hand as you will probably loose a wing-nut or two in the water.

Transom has to be a factory change as the sides and bulkheads would need to be of different dimensions.

5. Arbor16

Arbor16 New Member

Yes. I have been looking for a while but can't find any. I am looking for a link to buy one or if some one has an extra one I would like to pay for it. No price over 10$. Unless it's eBay.

6. Arbor16

Arbor16 New Member

I did find one that is 6 inches. Is that it