Winter Storage In New England

Jimbosail

Hello all-

I'm a new SUnfish sailor and the forum was very helpful to me a couple of months ago when I asked about dolly type trailers. My Sunfish came with a tote dolly device that fits into the centerboard slot from underneath and enables the boat to be wheeled to the water (which is only 2 streets away). I'll probably be getting a trailer device that I can more easily wheel and launch from.

Now that my sailing is over for he winter, I am wondering about storing my boat outside. I have a tarp for it to keep snow and rain out. RIght now I still have the tote dolly on the boat; so it is resting at an angle in the yard.

Is that safe to do? Should I remove the tote dolly and leave it up on blocks or just on the ground in my yard, covered up in either case?

I appreciate any thoughts and look forward to hitting the water in the spring!

Best,

Jim
Hull, MA

I’d take it off the tote dolly. A lot of snow on the boat would end up putting a lot of weight on the spot where the boat rests on the dolly. Can you prop it up on its side against a building?

Thanks for the suggestion. Now that I think of it, the person I bought the boat from had it propped up against the side of his house. I'll do that with as soon as the rain stops, and put a tarp over it.

Best,

Jim

Thanks for the suggestion. Now that I think of it, the person I bought the boat from had it propped up against the side of his house. I'll do that with as soon as the rain stops, and put a tarp over it.

Best,

Jim
I recommend getting it off the ground if possible. Can you put down a couple of 4 x 4‘s on the ground first and then rest the side of the boat on those blocks while leaning it against the building?

I recommend getting it off the ground if possible. Can you put down a couple of 4 x 4‘s on the ground first and then rest the side of the boat on those blocks while leaning it against the building?
Great idea! Thanks for the suggestion. This listserv is great!.

Where I live, winter wind gusts can slide or even lift a Sunfish. So much so, fiberglass repairs are necessary. :(

I use the empty daggerboard trunk to engineer rope supports. An old daggerboard will work fine, but any suitable piece of wood is advised.

If you store the boat outside, make sure it is not in a spot where ice builds up and then falls. I have seen two Sunfish hulls totaled by ice falling off an overhead roof. Be sure all the water is out of the inside of the hull and the mast hole. Expanding ice can do a lot of damage. Always store a Sunfish on its side or deck side down. Never store a Sunfish outside deck side up. If you get a lot of snow, brush it off to prevent crushing the hull.

Winter well.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I built an A-frame out of 2x6's about 5 feet long and 5 feet tall, on the bottom of each side I cut the support that goes across the face of each side the same shape as the Sunfish side deck so that when placed deck side in against the A-frame the aluminum rail sits on the deck shaped board and cradles the boat. I tie them together and to the A-frame then cover the whole thing with a tarp. Has worked pretty good for years. I also have one in need of repair that is upside down on wide wooden sawhorses covered with a tarp.

Back