Which one, Harken vang or Holt vang?

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by JuanCH, Aug 4, 2009.

1. fat-n-old

fat-n-old Member

The issue is the length of the control line. The 15:1 is very easy to apply and, as a consequence of the additional turning points and distance between them, you have to pull more line through the cleat to get the same tension on the vang. This leaves a long line in the boat when you're going upwind which needs to be managed (not a big deal but it usually ends up over the leeward side when I need to adjust it).
    Most adult men dont need a 15:1 purchase to apply full vang, 12 or 10:1 is plenty easy enough and halves the amount of loose line in the boat which is slightly more convienient.

2. LASERNUT

LASERNUT Member

Also it only takes one go to pull the the kicker on when you go round the leeward mark. Every time you lean in to go for you kicker you loose a bit of hight on the beat. One pull and your done!

3. Sailorchick

Sailorchick Member

If you have the 15:1 thats a lot of line to pull when you are tensioning the kicker. I need to take 2 goes as the handle reaches the back of the cockpit almost when fully on. However, if you reduce it to a 12:1 or 10:1 thats a lot less string and so one pull will get the kicker on (assuming you are strong enough that you don't need all the purchase).

4. Friendly Dragon

Friendly Dragon Member

Nathan. Excess friction in light conditions. Excessive line and having to pull more than on grab. Gradually remove parts it until you find your like. Of course if your very weak the 15.1 is necessary. Make sure you pull with your body and arm stiff, not with your arm alone.

5. Elessar

Elessar Member

I've used both in my past, and I definitely prefer the Holt system...
    I know the lines cross over at one point, and they aren't as well separated as the lines in the Harken system, but the angle of cleating is better, the cleat swivel is much better and if you are using good line the crossover doesn't matter. (I have been using my Holt kicker for over 2 years with out any wear from the line).

6. Elessar

Elessar Member

I've used both in my past, and I definitely prefer the Holt system...
    I know the lines cross over at one point, and they aren't as well separated as the lines in the Harken system, but the angle of cleating is better, the cleat swivel is much better and if you are using good line the crossover doesn't matter. (I have been using my Holt kicker for over 2 years with out any wear from the line).

7. Matt B

Matt B Member

thats funny maybe we do get a different quality of parts because i dont know of anyone in the uk that uses a allen (holt) vang apart from the laser centre on their training boats the harken ones are the best they work and look good and the allen (holt) ones just seem cheep and i've heard they like to un cleat themselves however the harken vang is £195 as apposed to the £135 for the allen (holt) vang and you can sell a used harken vang but the allen (holt) vang's are hard to get rid of unless you sell it with a boat. thats why i baught a harken vang and mine has remained standard and works perfectley although i have heard from a lot of people that they like to rig them in different ways
    but i think the standard way is the best way.

8. racinglasers

racinglasers Member

APS has / had the Harken on sale 15 or 20% off recently!