Which Laser for me?

Bdog

Hi, I am a 14 year old boy that wants to get into Laser sailing. I weigh about 120 pounds and was wondering what Laser would be the best for me. I am thinking about getting a regular Laser and just buying a radial rig for it. Would that work? I was also wondering how the different lasers, Laser, Radial, and 4.7 differ? Your advice is appreciated.

Bdog -- the ONLY difference between the 4.7, the radial, and "full rig" is the lower mast section, and the sail. Everything else is the same.

At 120lbs, you're on the border, top end of 4.7 or bottom end of radial. So you might make your decsion based on how windy the conditions are where you sail. If it's a windy venue, pick the 4.7, and go to the radial when you get a little bigger and a little more skilled in the boat. If it's a light air venue, think about going straight to the radial.

I am as well 14, and Have used both the 4.7 rig and a Radial Rig. About up to 10 kts I can keep the radial flat fully hiked out. Above that, the 4.7 is alot of fun.

I'm 15, like 5' and I weigh 135, and I can keep a radial flat no problem. In your case I would go with the 4.7,and then when you get a little larger move up. Minimum for a radial is 55 kgs or 121 pounds.

Back