Where to buy vang upgrade

Nicko

I have recently bought a laser which was fitted with the cunni and outhaul upgrades.
After regular capsizes while gibing I have decided I need the vang upgrade also. Here in the UK I cannot find one for less than $320(£160) delivered.
I was wondering if there was anywhere to get hold of them a little cheaper either here in the UK or state side.
Thanks
Nicko

time vs. money, right?

Really old lasers in good condition are in short supply around here, so when I was buying mine, plus keeping an eye out for used ones for my friends to buy, I was watching our local "craigslist.org" regularly (used stuff site) over a period of about two months.

While watching for boats, I found someone unloading a used vang for $75 US.

Don't know if craigslist is international or not, though ebay obviously is. You may just need to keep a sharp eye out for a used one.

I went through the same experience a couple of years ago and was loathed to shell out that sort of money. They do pop up on Ebay but seem to go for large amounts.
I upgraded in easy stages over a few months. this allowed me to buy the thing without consulting domestic purchase control authority (wife's an accountant)

1. Added a couple of extra blocks to my existing vang courtesy of Rooster
2. bought the Holt base unit on it's own and used it with the existing blocks. (IMHO most of the benefit comes at this point from having a cam cleat rather than the vee jammer)
3. Bought the new blocks and control lines to complete my new vang.
4. Reassembled the old vang (with extra blocks) and sold it on Ebay.

I bought my upgraded vang several years ago when they first came out, and though I may be a little hazy I believe it was around $150. It was just on the edge between something I really needed vs. too much money.

I just checked the Layline website - $245 + shipping. All I can say is WOW! Did they start making these things out of plantinum or something.

I was hoping there was a laser parts discount warehouse I had missed on the net somewhere. Never mind, I shall carry on looking on ebay and used boat part sites until I get so fustrated I just fork out for a new one!
Cheers anyway,
Nicko

Back