What stuff is good for hull cleaning

Levent

I know it's a tricky question but I'm looking for something to clean and remove minor scratches on my hull such as a rubbing compound. McGuiar has a marine line, here is a description of their oxidation remover: Removes moderate oxidation, scratches, stains and tough water spots on all fiberglass gel coat marine or RV surfaces. Restores color by effectively removing surface degradation.

http://www.meguiarscanada.com/index.php?_room=2&_subRoom=35&_action=detail&

Do you have any suggestion, do you think this product is good ?

I have always just used Jif (or Cif) household cleaner. Abrasive enough to do the job nicely and doesn't cost a fortune.

Muc off seems quite good for just removing dirt and residue.

I use regular household detergent for washing, softscrub for the deck, acetone for stubborn stuff on the hull and wet sanding for scratches. My hull has NEVER seen a coat of wax. I'm of the school that wax is slow IMHO.

So what do you recommend for treating scratches on the belly of the boat, especially long deep ones due to beaching?

Thanks

Wash with Pumice cream/aka Fast Orange. It's magical.
Wet sand starting at 400 and finish at 1600. Hull will shine bright and glisten.
JRF

They are hundreds of rubbing compounds and cleaning products, some are very expensive for no reason probably, it's not easy to choose one. For me sanding is only an option when it's really required.

Ah. I just used one that's commonly available at hardware stores and auto supply stores in my area. Not a special "boating mix" or "speed mix" or anything. It's not rocket science.

I'd be curious to compare standard car rubbing compound at 3.50$ with a "marine" one at 20$. The only really important thing to me is to not damage the surface, I had a bad experience once on my car and I'm more careful now ;)

A good thing to do is to look at the active ingredient in these boat cleaning products, as there is usually a cheaper product at a hardware store that will have the same active ingredient in it and does the same job. I'm not sure about polishes but there are many fancy boat care products where you can just use acetone instead as Rob B said.

Good point !

anyone knows if miapoxiy mia-gelcoat or any other brand of gelcoat is the same thing ? The mia-gelcoat is very expensive ...

I know it's a tricky question but I'm looking for something to clean and remove minor scratches on my hull such as a rubbing compound. McGuiar has a marine line, here is a description of their oxidation remover: Removes moderate oxidation, scratches, stains and tough water spots on all fiberglass gel coat marine or RV surfaces. Restores color by effectively removing surface degradation.

http://www.meguiarscanada.com/index.php?_room=2&_subRoom=35&_action=detail&

Do you have any suggestion, do you think this product is good ?
where is this mcguiar product sold?

where is this mcguiar product sold?

I don't know in U.S.A. It's a well known company they have car products. When I went to my boat house store they told me that the ROLITE metal polish who is also good for fiberglass does a better job. I tried it today on piece of metal and it seems to be very efficient, you don't need to put much and you don't need to rub hard either, I think it's going to be very good on the spars and on the hull too, can't wait to try.

I found this place on the Internet: http://www.autogeek.net/rolite-metal-polish.html.

They also have an aircraft product line so I figure it's a serious company ...

Back