What does it cost to sail in the Worlds?

Sailandsurf_89

So I did well enough at the North Americans to qualify to go to the worlds next year. But with the economy in its current state and the fact that I'm in college and money is tight as it is, Im looking to get a jump on saving up to go... So my question is to all that have been to worlds events in the past... About how much on average does it cost to go. Also what type of equiment am I going to have to bring, outside of what they are going to give us to use? Any bit of insite will help.
Thanks

Congratulations on qualifying!

Regarding your question, consider the following draft budget

Airfare to Nassau

Hotel (7 nights, assuming arrival on Sunday Oct 18 and leaving Oct 25). The Red Carpet Inn charges $131-146 per night, taxes included (info from the website). Arrival on Oct 17 would be better, giving you a chance to sail in the practice race.

Charter fee: (the NOR isn't up yet) around $300, but could be as much as $500

Regatta entry fee: the NOR isn't up yet, so I just guess $200-$300

Food and incidentals: $50/day if you don't splurge (some dinners are included in the regatta fee)

Sunshine, a nice breeze and lots of good memories: free

What did I forget?

PS: you don't need to bring much, just your favorite extension, sheet, windvane, compass, and PDF. The charter fee includes an extension and sheet, but some prefer to bring their own. My last Worlds was in 2006 (Charleston SC), and my memory regarding this issue may not be perfect.

A mast cleat is not allowed.

Also note that if you want to use a compass or cleats, you need to come up with a 'system' that won't damage the deck.

Boats sailed in the Worlds are sold afterwards; consequently, they need to stay in the best possible shape.

hmmmm sounds like its time to design some sort of alternative mast cleat... Awsome... i love making stuff... shoot already got a idea or 2 going in my head... i wonder,,, just how strong his gorilla tape... haha.. just kidding....maybe... My idea is going to be bit more bullet proof... ill run it by on the forum to check its legality later

Just remember you pay a damage fee that will be forfeited if they find so much as a scratch on the mast.

Historically adding a mast cleat by any means whatsoever at the Worlds has been specifically prohibited (the rules tell you what personal equipment you can bring, and mast cleats are not among the items.) I am about 105% certain this won't be changing for Nassau. Sorry. BB

Back