What do you think? Water in hull...

MonaMars

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping to get your opinions on a boat I'm considering buying in Phoenix. It's a '73, and appears to have been well taken care of, with no damage visible to any parts, even has the original sail which looked decent. When I rolled it on its side to check the bottom some water came out of the mast-hole. Hmm, I thought...then moved on to look at the bottom. It had soft spots forward of the cockpit, on both sides, I could press in between 1/4 to 1/2" in that area. Otherwise it looked great, no cracks or damage at all...the ball was missing from the bailer. But when I rolled it back over, I could hear a lot of water slosh from one side to the other. I asked the owner about it, he said maybe it was rain water...but the boat had been covered with a good tarp which I looked at next to the boat and this is Phoenix, we don't get that much rain! I asked when he last sailed it, he said last November. I then noticed there wasn't an end cap on the mast, he said he didn't get around to getting on, but had been sailing without it for the past few years that he had owned it. I think the mast cut in, making a hole for the water to enter the last time he went sailing, which would mean that water's been sitting in the hull all that time. He's asking $780 for it. Do you think it might be a project? What do you suggest? Thanks!

The water in the hull in the amount you suggested would be a great concern of mine. I'm new to sailing and just purchased and refinished my first sunfish. The experience I've gained from asking questions and doing a lot of research before making a purchase I believe helped me get a good solid boat. Water in the hull that has been setting for some time and without a plausible explanation as how it got there would set off red flags for me. Your theory of the mast cutting into the boat which allowed water into the hull has merit, especially if the boat was prone to a lot of capsizing. I would be afraid of taking on someone else's problem child and move on to the next potential purchase. That's just my take on it coming from the cheap seats.

Good points.
I would be very concerned as well, unless you want a project and the price was very low.

PS: It appears that the current owner was negligent with respect to maintenance.

With the boat deck up, fill the mast hole with water and see it the water level goes down. If it does, it is leaking water from cracks or holes in the mast tube; not a good thing, You may be right that the mast with no end cap has "cookie cutter[ed]" its way through the base on the mast hole. $780 for a '73 Sunfish with soft spots, water inside the hull and leaks does not strike me as a very good deal. If I were you, I would pass and look for a newer, better boat.

Alan Glos

Back