What do you sail?

• Full rig

Votes: 40 62.5%
  • Radial rig

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • 4.7 rig

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
hi this is a verry intresting poll as there is only 2 4.7 rigs one which is me at our club we only have on average 12 boats sail each saturday & no sailing on sunday we sail on a river about 300m wide yesterday we as a club had no sailing because there is a regatta 45min up the river & yesterday at the regatta insted of having a round the bouys couse they had a 14km race for the monohulls in no wind ( the river was clear ) & me in my laser 4.7 was infront of most radials & fullrigs but then about 8knots came through & they sailed closer by the time for the 7km downwind back home the wind had dropped off & everyone sailed past me as they have so much more power i was amazed

wow. long sentence. i dont get it, not that it wasnt semi-enteresting what i did pick up.. but what does it hav to do with the pole?

it shows that the yonger sailors are either going streight to radial or sailing a different boat or mabe they just dont use the forum ( i only stumbled across it by accident i dont think it is verry publisised in aus at least) & sorry about my spelling puntuation ect as it is not a 1000 page book or a spelling bee & i think you understand what i am trying to say most of the time dont you

RYA try to get youth into toppers and then onto an olympic class or a double hander, you can like i do since i hate toppers go onto a radial and ignore the topper class and then onto full rigs. There are alot more radials around every month now.

I found this pole interesting. Because in every regagga i've been to this year (great lakes), the radials hav just about always crushed the lasers in numbers, there wasnt one regatta where there were more lasers than radials.

Well that's great for Radials up there, there's a few dedicated Radial sailors that sail here in the D-15 (state of Texas) fleet. But it is full rigs that rack up the numbers at most of the regatta's. Tipping the scales at some where around 210 lbs. (95 kilos for y'all on the metric system). So I'm a little large for the Radial. I've sailed the Radial rig when it is has been really honking 35-40 mph and had a blast.
Fishingmickey
150087/178894

iain, the reason there were more radials than full rigs at the regattas u went to, were because the majority you attended were youth regattas. (ie. eyc junior regatta, steerers, youthfest) The only others you attended were sarnia and four sisters! If you went to more regattas such as series one cork, fall war or icebowl you would know that the majority there were full rigs! It really depends on where you go.

jennifer111 said:
iain, the reason there were more radials than full rigs at the regattas u went to, were because the majority you attended were youth regattas. (ie. eyc junior regatta, steerers, youthfest) The only others you attended were sarnia and four sisters! If you went to more regattas such as series one cork, fall war or icebowl you would know that the majority there were full rigs! It really depends on where you go.

It is very true what you said. I am only 16 and I sail radial and those are all the regattas that I attend. They are youth regattas, so therefore more "youth" that are lower weight come out. I am not really considered a "youth" but I still have to sail radial because I am only 130 pounds.

In Florida the Radials seem to have a larger fleet at most regattas, since most of the younger sailors sail them. Masters regattas here are mostly fullrig, though, unless the wind is ripping and some of the adults will switch to the Radial. I sail a full rig myself; I'm usually the only woman in the fleet unless it's light.

Back