weight

neil330

Hello I am new but I was wondering, I am 46kg, would this be ok for a 4.7 even when capsized, trying to get it back up is my worry. Will I find it tough in rough weather.
Thanks

I think you should be fine in the radial. I teach kids to sail radials starting aroud 100 lbs (roughly 40kg). They have some trouble in really big breeze, but half of sailing is knowing your limits. a 4.7 might be good for the big blows, but in the lighter stuff I think you'll find yourself underpowered.

You will be fine. You will have to get up on the centre board though, which means having one hand on the centre board, hauling urself outa the water and grabbing the side of the boat, (kinnda a swimming jump) then using the leverage of both to get it up. There is a trick to it but the great thing about it is you have no choice but to succed

You'll be fine in the 4.7, leave the radial for a little while - you need to be at least 55kg for the radial and even then it would be a struggle in any breeze.

practice the capsizes in shallow water to get a feel for it... that way you will at least know what it will be like. My guess is that if you are nimble and a bit on the athletic side you will have no trouble righting the boat, even in deeper water... you will find that the boat seems to "want" to right itself...

I did teach a young girl to sail and she maybe weighed 110Lbs... 42-43kg approx... I taught her to right the boat and she sailed for hours with a full rig in 10 kts. She capsized multiple times and had issues righting the boat the first time she tried, but no issues after...

To be candid... I think you are worrying too much, get the radial and a comfortable life vest... and skip the 4.7....

don't know if i'm too late to post but last year I sailed most regattas in radial and just the NA's in San fransisco and Nats in Long beach in the 4.7, which was great because I was at 50-52kg, or ~115 lbs. I would keep both rigs on hand, but definitely favor the radial

Back